title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DAP settings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

DAP settings

My DAP has just set itself as the default player for downloads of all Real Audio clips on websites. That would be OK with me except that DAP does not play those clips......it just sits there, silently. If I click on the "Play" button, it plays the latest audio I played with DAP. As of today I can not play any Real Audio sound clips in any websites! So where do I find the page to change the defaut setting and /or get it to play those clips?
    Arnie
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Re: DAP settings

Go Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP > Configuration > File Associations. Remove dAP's association as default for Real Media files.
    You may also want to go Control Panel > Folder Options and click on the File Options tab. Wait for the system to load all the file extensions on your computer. Then scroll the menu until you reach your Real Media file extensions. Make sure RealPlayer or whatever player you use to play these files is set as the default player for handling these files.
    dAP cannot handle streaming audio, as you can see.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by xoas
      Go Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP > Configuration > File Associations. Remove dAP's association as default for Real Media files.

Best wishes,
      Bill Mikkelsen
      Well, there is my problem, Bill. In the configuration window I have aux, cda, mid, midi, mp3, mp2, snd, mpga, mpx, mpg, ogg, and wav. I can't see anything that looks like Real Audio unless it's masquerading under one of those extensions.
      Cheers,
      Arnie

PS will take a look at you other suggestion and report back later

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
        Well, there is my problem, Bill. In the configuration window I have aux, cda, mid, midi, mp3, mp2, snd, mpga, mpx, mpg, ogg, and wav. I can't see anything that looks like Real Audio unless it's masquerading under one of those extensions.
        Cheers,
        Arnie

PS will take a look at you other suggestion and report back later
        LOL, usually it's Real Player that hijacks all manner of media file types.

You start Real Player, maximize the window, Tools> Preferences > Content > Media Types and select those for which you want RP to be your default player.

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          LOL, usually it's Real Player that hijacks all manner of media file types.

You start Real Player, maximize the window, Tools> Preferences > Content > Media Types and select those for which you want RP to be your default player.
          Right, I've done that, as well as Bill's suggestions, and any Real streaming audio link I click on in a website still brings up the DAP, which sits there staring at me and challenging me to find a way to listen to the audio!

And this, even though I have taken the checkmarks out of every box in the DAP config/file associations window! However, I have just discovered something really intriguing. This problem only occurs when using the Firefox 1.0 browser. In IE 6, everything works as it should!! So, a little thing to keep you guys and gals busy and out of mischief for a while.
          Cheers,
          Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Right, I've done that, as well as Bill's suggestions, and any Real streaming audio link I click on in a website still brings up the DAP, which sits there staring at me and challenging me to find a way to listen to the audio!

And this, even though I have taken the checkmarks out of every box in the DAP config/file associations window! However, I have just discovered something really intriguing. This problem only occurs when using the Firefox 1.0 browser. In IE 6, everything works as it should!! So, a little thing to keep you guys and gals busy and out of mischief for a while.
            Cheers,
            Arnie
            Hahahaha! Take this all you Firefox lovers :D

So how exactly did you associate any particular player with Firefox?

Comment

• adaywayne
              dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
              Hahahaha! Take this all you Firefox lovers :D

So how exactly did you associate any particular player with Firefox?

I didn't! for some strange reason, the Firefox browser opens the DAP whenever one clicks on a Real Audio link. It doesn't happen with a Windows Media or any other format browser link. Very strange. I'll keep Firefox since I think it is a much more secure browser than IE and more and more users are switching every day. For the time being, if I want to stream a Real Audio clip, I shall simply toggle to the IE browser and back.

Another thing I just discovered about Firefox is that the Real audio clips (which won't play in DAP) are also (at the same time) downloaded to the temporary Download folder and can be played subsequently by ReaPlayer from there.
              Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

I didn't! for some strange reason, the Firefox browser opens the DAP whenever one clicks on a Real Audio link. It doesn't happen with a Windows Media or any other format browser link. Very strange. I'll keep Firefox since I think it is a much more secure browser than IE and more and more users are switching every day. For the time being, if I want to stream a Real Audio clip, I shall simply toggle to the IE browser and back.

Another thing I just discovered about Firefox is that the Real audio clips (which won't play in DAP) are also (at the same time) downloaded to the temporary Download folder and can be played subsequently by ReaPlayer from there.
                Arnie
                Ok, in my Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder I have the file NoAutoAssociate.txt which tell dAP not to associate certain file type with it.

Also from dB, when I downloaded, I think there was a file called mp9.reg which must have been added at some point to my registry I guess.
                REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]
                Take a look at your registry and see what it says.

Comment

• adaywayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

[QUOTE=ChristinaS]Ok, in my Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder I have the file NoAutoAssociate.txt which tell dAP not to associate certain file type with it.

Yes, I have that same Read Me file and the Real Audio extensions are listed, as they should be. Will check my registry later.
                  Arnie

Comment

Working...

]]>