title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Automatic Track Normalisation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2004

Automatic Track Normalisation

I see that DAP now automatically normalises every track peak to some preset signal level. This may be fine for todays pop music which has only one volume level (ear-shattering), but is not a good idea for, say, jazz or classical where track levels deliberately are at different levels according to the wishes of the performers and the recording engineer. Would it not be possible to allow this feature to be turned on and off, as the listener wishes?
    Arnie
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Automatic Track Normalisation

Auto Volume Normalize should actually quieten tracks with too high a gain. You have an option accessible in MMC (the My Music Collection) window, top menu left hand side under options for Adding New Tracks (I am operating by memory here, if I have the location wrong, I hope someone will steer you right) to automatically add this to each new file added to MMC or not.

Auto Volume Normalization in dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player) does not, in my understanding, touch the actual audio file, it only applies a gain correction on playback and only takes effect after the track has played through in its entirety one time. The idea is to adjust for differences between volume levels found in some recordings. If you find you have tracks that have had this effect applied and you want to turn it off, I believe you can do so on a track by track basis (you can actually apply this to groups of tracks at once, I just don't think you there is a single place you can go for a wholesale correction) if you scroll the MMC screen left to the colume for volume normalization. Alternately, you could select Tag Edit for any group of files and disable this-but I don't think this would necessarily correct those files which have already been volume normalized.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• donny
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Oct 2002

as far as I know you can't make tracks auto normalize with an option for all tracks... you haveto turn on the feeature on a track-by-track basis (the "A" letter before the volume normalize slider)...

and if you were talking about the converter the option is right there so you can turn it off...

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

as far as I know you can't make tracks auto normalize with an option for all tracks
        The dAP online Help file (Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP > Help > dBpowerAMP Audio Player Help) in the section on My Music Collection says:
        One advanced feature of dAP is its ability to volume normalize playback (that is, try to make all your music the same volume - note the original files are untouched), tracks can be set to normalize by clicking in the Volume Boost column, or even better any new tracks can be set to auto normalize by ticking Auto Volume Normalize on the New Track Preferences page (Add Music menu).
        I believe, but I am not certain that the default setting for requesting Auto Volume Normalize for new tracks is "On" (checked). It can be unchecked (or you can see what setting you have set) by opening the MMC, clicking on the arrow by the Add Music button and clicking on New Track Preferences.

As the tip from the Help file indicates, by clicking on the volume boost header on the top of the MMC Window, you actually can unapply or reapply this feature for all of the tracks in MMC at once.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by donny
          as far as I know you can't make tracks auto normalize with an option for all tracks... you haveto turn on the feeature on a track-by-track basis (the "A" letter before the volume normalize slider)...

and if you were talking about the converter the option is right there so you can turn it off...
          No, I'm not talking about the converter and I'm not suggesting that the dB Player actually changes the volume level of any music files on my hard drive. The only point I was making was about playback volume. I haven't done any experimentation but simply read on the release notes that the latest player now "normalises" the playback volume so that all tracks play with the same peak level.
          Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by xoas
            The dAP online Help file (Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP > Help > dBpowerAMP Audio Player Help) in the section on My Music Collection says:

I believe, but I am not certain that the default setting for requesting Auto Volume Normalize for new tracks is "On" (checked). It can be unchecked (or you can see what setting you have set) by opening the MMC, clicking on the arrow by the Add Music button and clicking on New Track Preferences.

As the tip from the Help file indicates, by clicking on the volume boost header on the top of the MMC Window, you actually can unapply or reapply this feature for all of the tracks in MMC at once.

Best wishes,
            Bill Mikkelsen

Thanks, Bill I had not read the help file carefully enough and was not aware that the normalisation feature applied only to those tracks in the MMC list...., a feature I don't use. Thanks again for setting me straight.
            Arnie

Comment

Working...

]]>