title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Skipping at end of song

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ayla
    • Nov 2004

Skipping at end of song

Converted everything to mp3's. Most everything anyway. Still have a few more to do on another system. Anyway, got it converted, renamed and retagged. Set up my AMP to play randomly.

Every other song or so though, it would skip at the end of the song as though it were a scratched CD. At first, I thought it was tracks that didn't quite convert right so I was deleting the tracks. Then I decided to try them in my Windows Media Player.

No skipping in the media player. Now, I think I remember seeing something like this, but don't remember where. Okay, found it. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4619

This is a 2000 Server system. The files do playback without cackling or interuptions on the Media Player. With dAP, I get the "scratched cd" effect. Should I still follow the instructions as listed above?

On the one hand, I don't think so. since this does owrk under another program, I don't think it is a hardware or a windows problem. But on the other hand, you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have. :D
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Skipping at end of song

First open dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP). Open the Options menu (there will be a button on the main skin sometimes labelled Options, sometimes Menu; alternately, with any skin you can right-click on an inactive portion of the skiin and call up the Options Menu). Click on Amp. If DirectX is activated switch to Wave Out. If Wave Out is selected switch to DirectX. Now return to dAP. Play some files. See if that corrects it.

If that does not work, open the Options Menu again and select MultiPlayer. Turn off cross-fade if it is activated.

Please let us know whether either of these is (or is not) helpful.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Ayla
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by xoas
      First open dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP). Open the Options menu (there will be a button on the main skin sometimes labelled Options, sometimes Menu; alternately, with any skin you can right-click on an inactive portion of the skiin and call up the Options Menu). Click on Amp. If DirectX is activated switch to Wave Out. If Wave Out is selected switch to DirectX. Now return to dAP. Play some files. See if that corrects it.

If that does not work, open the Options Menu again and select MultiPlayer. Turn off cross-fade if it is activated.

Best wishes,
      Bill Mikkelsen
      Well, it was set to Direct X so I set it to Wave Out and am testing it now. Cross fade was not activated. I hope that this is the issue and fixes it. Other than the "scratched cd" effect, the sound quality is so much better than Windows Media player.

Question though. Why is it that there are such volume differences between tracks with the player? Is it something that I need to adjust individually for each track? On the meda player, they all sound equally bad. :D On this one, most sound very good, but some of them are just real quiet where as another track will follow that is very loud.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Why is it that there are such volume differences between tracks with the player? Is it something that I need to adjust individually for each track?
        Tracks from different sources may have been recordeed, ripped and/or converted with various level of signal strength. dBpowerAMP Music Converter has a built-in Volume Normalization feature which can help adjust for this when yoou are ripping or converting files. The Power Pack offers stronger forms of Volume Normalization.

What you can do to compensate for this with dAP is to use the Auto Volume Normaization feature. You can set dAP to apply this to all new tracks as they are added (Add Music>>New Track Preferences) or you can request this effect to be applied to files or groups of files at your choosing. If this is applied, then once dAP plays a track all the way through one time it will adjust the volume upward or downward to adjust for it being too soft or too loud. You can also manually adjust the volume boost for each track but that is way more work.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Ayla
          • Nov 2004

Setting the Amp to Wave X fixed the issue and oddly enough, took care of the sound flunctuations as well.

Thank you very much, Bill.

Now, I'm off to find out why my computer keeps uninstalling its own drivers. Arrgghhh.

Originally posted by xoas

Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• donny
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Oct 2002

hmm then it probably was a problem with drivers, being that directX depends on drivers a lot...

Comment

• Ayla
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by donny
              hmm then it probably was a problem with drivers, being that directX depends on drivers a lot...
              I'm tryin to figure out why my modem drivers and cdrom drivers keep uninstalling. I've got the latest drivers, and my system is fully updated. It's just being a pain in the a.......er...neck!

I don't think Direct X depends on modem and cd rom though.

Comment

Working...

]]>