title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MAD decoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

MAD decoder

I have tried to install DAP Release 3 beta 5, but DMC config. indicates release 3 beta 4 still installed.
    BTW does the MAD decoder allow mp3 384 kbps files to be played? Right now I'm using CoolPlayer to play these files & Speek's MAD frontend to encode them.Thanks for your help and the great product.
    Bill
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: MAD decoder

I possibly forgot to update the version info file, these things happen.

Try the 384 kbps file.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

No I can't play them.
      Bill

Comment

• Unregistered

Just an update.
        I uninstalled, downloaded, & reinstalled all the latest dBpowerAMP software
        & codecs ( except for CD writer ) and the only change that I have noticed is that I lost the MPC & Flac icons somewhere in the process. I am still unable to
        play the 384 kbps files with DAP. Any thoughts or suggestions?
        Bill

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Perhaps MAD is not able to play those bitrates, I have not tried such so cannot advise. If you install dMC R10 it has a different Mp3 decoder (uninstall dMC first).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

No they don't play in the other version either. The only reason for my original
            post was that I had read that you had added the MAD decoder to the latest
            DAP beta and if it's the same decoder found here: http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/ , then it should play mp3 384 kbps.
            That's the decoder in the 2 programs I mentioned in the original post.
            I appreciated your help. Thanks.
            Bill

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

I understand you have an "mp3" file encoded at 384 kbs which you can play in CoolEdit and convert with Speek's MAD frontend codec. CoolEdit also uses the MAD codec. But the dAP beta with the MAD decoder does not play this file.

Do you know the file extension for this file? Do you know what program created it? Can you tell us the frequency and number of channels this program has (and bit setting if applicable)?

Do you have dBpowerAMP Music Converter installed? If so, do you have version 10.1 or earlier installed? If so, you may need to update to the version 11 beta (now available as release candidate 1 from the beta forum)?
              If you access your file associations for dAP (dBpowerAMP>Configuration>File Associations), do you have this file type associated with dAP? If not, try doing so.

If these do not work or do not apply, please let us know the answers to the above questions.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi Bill Mikkelsen
                Regarding your questions: I understand you have an "mp3" file encoded at 384 kbs which you can play in CoolEdit and convert with Speek's MAD frontend codec. CoolEdit also uses the MAD codec. But the dAP beta with the MAD decoder does not play this file.
                I have many 384 kbs files from allofmp3.com which I can play in CoolPlayer, not CoolEdit, and convert with Speek's MAD frontend.I have no problem with these files other than I would have liked to use DMC as my do everything audio app. and when I read that DAP r3 b5 was using the MAD decoder I thought that problem was solved,but in DMC config. it showed up as r3 b4 and Spoon answered that question. So there is no problem other than I have
                to use a few non DMC apps for my conversion needs.

Do you have dBpowerAMP Music Converter installed? If so, do you have version 10.1 or earlier installed? If so, you may need to update to the version 11 beta (now available as release candidate 1 from the beta forum)?

I have all the latest dBpowerAMP apps (betas) and Power Pack (registered)
                installed.
                I hope that long winded explanation cleared things up.
                Bill

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Can you test convert one of these files in dMC?

Comment

• Unregistered

Yes, and this is the error message I get: The file 'J:\AllOfMP3 (384)\Faith Hill\Cry (2002)\02 - Cry.mp3' could not be opened.

The only way this is going to work is if dAP is using the
                    MAD decoder found here: http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/ . so it can read these files. winLame is another program I've used with these files. Who knows Spoon might decide to add this decoder to dAP.

Hmm, while I was writing this reply my computer mysteriously rebooted so I may have an even bigger problem.
                    Bill

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

I do recall that the dMC/dAP decoder springs from the same source that you cite. The mystery then is why the dMC/dAP MAD decoder won't work when the other MAD decoders will. The only two hypotheses I can come with would be that either something is interfering with the dB version of the MAD decoder or that the dB MAD decoder somehow lacks the capabilities of the MAD decoder used by other programs.
                      Spoon would be the appropriate person to assess address this second possibility.

I still wonder about your source files in terms of number of channels, their frequency and their file extension. This information amy be helpful.
                      I assume that you can handle plain regular mp3 files (44.1 khz, 2 channel, standard sort of bitrate) ok in terms of being able to play or convert them and that you have no other problems with any of your other codecs. If these assumptions of mine are mistaken, please let me know.
                      The other thing, if you haven't tried it, would be to see if enabling Professional Frequency Conversion would make a difference (done from the dMC Configuration window).

Hope your other problem wasn't anything major.
                      Best wishes,
                      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

1. I do recall that the dMC/dAP decoder springs from the same source that you cite. The mystery then is why the dMC/dAP MAD decoder won't work when the other MAD decoders will. The only two hypotheses I can come with would be that either something is interfering with the dB version of the MAD decoder or that the dB MAD decoder somehow lacks the capabilities of the MAD decoder used by other programs.

When I ran the MAD frontend it described the decoder as:
                        MPEG Audio Decoder 0.15.2 beta

2. I still wonder about your source files in terms of number of channels, their frequency and their file extension. This information amy be helpful.

When I used winLame, it described the input file as: MPEG-1 Layer 3, 384 kbps, 44100 Hz, Stereo, 32 bit, 2 channel

3. The other thing, if you haven't tried it, would be to see if enabling Professional Frequency Conversion would make a difference (done from the dMC Configuration window).

I looked at this and it was already checked, so I also tried it unchecked with same results.

5. I assume that you can handle plain regular mp3 files (44.1 khz, 2 channel, standard sort of bitrate) ok in terms of being able to play or convert them and that you have no other problems with any of your other codecs.

Yes, everything else runs great and I don't consider not being able
                        to convert the 384 kbps files with dMC a problem, just a nuisance.
                        Couldn't find anything that could have caused the other problem
                        so I'll just blame it on the M$ ghost.
                        Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Oh, it's not the 384kbps that's the problem - it's the 32-bit, I bet! That is if it refers to the same thing as the 24-bit does in wav :confused:

I don't see in dMC any option higher than 24-bit for a wav - and I think this may be the limiting factor here. If any newer beta version has that, I don't have it yet, but I run dMC Release 11 (Release Candidate 1).
                          Last edited by ChristinaS; October 20, 2004, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

I agree it looks very fishy that these files show as 32 bit.
                            I note the MAD is a 24 bit decoder and the MAD decoder does seem to be working in other programs.
                            I do note that allofmp3 does have an FAQ on their 384 kbs files here:http://stat.allofmp3.com/help/help.shtml?gs=947. This FAQ says:
                            The mp3 files at 384 Kbps are encoded using Free Format technology. These files cannot play on most software and hardware platforms.
                            The software players/decoders that "understand" Free Format are as follows:
                            • MAD: up to 640 kbps
                            • lame: up to 550 kbps
                            • Freeamp: up to 440 kbps
                            • l3dec: up to 310 kbps
                            You can decode Free Format using the lame encoder with the following command line parameters: lame --decode filename.mp3
                            If you use Nullsoft Winamp, install the MAD plug-in: MAD plug-in for Winamp
                            Other software can be found in the "Software" section.
                            So it may be that there is a built-in limitation either to dAP/dMC or to the particular MAD codec for dAP/dMC that may prevent one from accessing these files. The FAQ also gives rise to wondering whether the Lame.exe codec might be of any use in helping to decode these files (even though it is an encoder). However, I can't be of much help since I don't use command-line interface with dAP/dMC and I only barely understand that "command line interface" does not refer to a Halloween party in the Officer's Club at a military base.

My very great suspicion is that you would have more success converting files in other formats or bitrates from allofmp3.

Perhaps a user familiar with the command-line interface could provide some insight as to whether the Lame.exe codec would be useful here and, if so, provide some instructions on how to use it.

Perhaps another user who has worked with these files might be able to share their experiences and whether they have had any success in converting or playing such files.

And perhaps Spoon (not to put him on the spot) could provide some insight on whether dAP/dMC or the MAD decoder used with the Beta versions have any type of limitations which would prevent them from working with these files.

Best wishes,
                            Bill mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

" I agree it looks very fishy that these files show as 32 bit.
                              I note the MAD is a 24 bit decoder and the MAD decoder does seem to be working in other programs."

I looked at this again and this is exactly what it shows: ( Input: MPEG-1 Layer 3, 384 kbps, 44100 Hz, Stereo
                              Sample Container: Input: 32 bit, 2 channels, sample rate 44100 Hz, Output: 16 bit Output: Microsoft WAV, 44100 Hz, 2 channels )

"My very great suspicion is that you would have more success converting files in other formats or bitrates from allofmp3."

Yes I have done that in the past, but I wanted the best archival copies I could get for future transcoding in the format of my choice
                              and the knowledge of how it was done. I just found a new version,
                              test b2, of winLame which converts to Lame 3.96, oggvorbis, and
                              wavs. This will make it easier for trancoding mp3s for my portable player. Plus I'm learning a lot,...well maybe a little about this digital
                              audio stuff.

" And perhaps Spoon (not to put him on the spot) could provide some insight on whether dAP/dMC or the MAD decoder used with the Beta versions have any type of limitations which would prevent them from working with these files."

I would be interested in knowing which version of MAD is in dAP also. Anyway he's still Da Man.

Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>