title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

playlist?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savagcl
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Aug 2004

playlist?

I have two players - winamp and dbplayer.
    I have my playlist generated for winamp with appropriate breakdowns by
    catagory.

If i also use the playlist function in the dbplayer will it cause problems with
    the winamp list?

savagcl
    (clif)
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Re: playlist?

It has been a long time since I have used WinAmp and I know that WinAmp has changed since I last used it (I using using v. 2 point something). So I am posting what I think is true in the hope that alert WinAmp/dAP users will jump in to correct any errors I may make.
    WinAmp (at least currently) uses a function called Media Library to organize audio files for playback. dAP uses a similar function called My Music Collection. My understanding is that neither affects the actual locations or ID tags for the actual files. Therefore, if you decide to classify your Offspring tracks as Rock in WinAmp and as Alternative in dAP there is no conflict.
    Both WinAmp and dAP allow you to create Playlists. These are sets of audio files you have grouped together and that you want to keep together. Both programs store playlists of mp3 files (and maybe other file types too) as m3u files. Both programs will play m3u files. The only trick, I believe, is that for dAP to play an m3u file it needs to have all the tracks listed on the m3u file entered into My Music Collection and I believe this is true of WinAmp playing m3u files created in dAP.

What you will have to learn to work out is how to handle the tug of war between the two programs when it comes to playing a file by right-clicking on it. This is done through setting file associations.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• savagcl
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Aug 2004

WinAmp is up to 5.05 now.
      I can see the only problem would be the file associations. It appears that
      a file type can only be assigned to 1 program!!!!

Thanks for the info,
      savagcl

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

It is not as big a problem as it seems because you can still play a file in either player regardless of file association. My Music Collection will play store and play mp3 files (for example) even if you have mp3 associated with WinAmp and I presume the same is true of WinAmp if you have mp3 associated with dAP. The only inconveniences are: if you have (for example) associated your mp3 files with one player and you want to double-click on a file to play it but you want to listen in the other program, you can't.
        The other thing I remember as being true (at least of WinAmp and maybe of dAP too) is that if I tried to play an mp3 file in WinAmp it would try to get me to convert my mp3 file association to WinAmp (which I seldom wanted to do). But this may be a system issue (I was running Windows 95 at this time, maybe XP is a little more gracious).
        Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>