title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Skin Designer Crashing 'Pro' Skins

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craze
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Oct 2002

Skin Designer Crashing 'Pro' Skins

There have been problems recently with skin installs of StudioPro and DualPro skins causing both skins not to display the mainamp. Only the Tray remote has been showing up.

It has been casually suggested or implied that Windows '98 may be the cause of this and other skin software bugs in which the Tray will not display.

I cannot speak about the latter, but it would appear that the Skin Designer is crashing my installs if I allow scroll bars to appear in its work area canvas.

I would expect all dB software to work with all versions of Windows if it was up to snuff. I do believe Windows '98 was pretty mainstream when the software was developed. And many dB users still have it as their O/S.

As a skin designer I must note that the rules of working from within the Skin Designer software have always been vague or something of a mystery for the skinner to figure out on his or her own...unless someone posted such rules or their own findings. If not for Narler's tutorial there would probably be very few skins for dAP.

Upon performing numerous tests on both skins and creating numerous installs I have concluded that the presence of scroll bars when a large (desktop covering) backdrop is added is the cause of the installs crashing.

Details are at Razgo's Skiin Site/ dBpowerAMP Fan Club.

StudioPro has been reactivated without the backdrop and is working.
    DualPro will be reactivated with the backdrop option working by days end today.

Craze
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Skin Designer Crashing 'Pro' Skins

I will note it down as a bug to be looked at.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

so you think it's a height/width limitation?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Something like that.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Craze
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Oct 2002

I loaded up dAP-HK-Amp and a few other skins into Skin Designer that utilize large resolution screens as part of the skin to note any differences. Since all of these display without a problem.

The only difference that I could find is that the larger screen skins used by others are "Locked to Primary Window" whereas my black backdrop skin(s) has been designated to be "Last Position" so that it can be moved by the user, positioned behind dAP (Z Order12).

Using the "Locked to Primary Window" assignment makes the designated part of the skin come to the top when accessed (covering or hiding mainAmp). Even if designated as Z Order 12. I tried designating the black backdrops as "Locked to Primary Window". The result was that only the black screen displayed.

I also tried laying down the black screens as a USER Defined skin instead of in the mainamp skin, designated "Last Position", Z Order 12. The skin would not display behind dAP as intended as a USER Defined option.

I did not test a skin install using this designation, as it isn't how I want these skins to function.
          Thought I'd post these results for a better understanding of the limitations I've seemed to have crossed working from within the Skin Designer.

Apologies if my criticisms earlier sounded harsh.
          dAP still rulz!

Comment

Working...

]]>