title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Local CDDB (freedb) not working with Player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scotty_B

Local CDDB (freedb) not working with Player

Using dBpowerAMP Player, there is a setting to use local cddb. I've downloaded the freedb database, and pointed Player to it, but to no avail.

The database works with CDex though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks-
    Scott
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Re: Local CDDB (freedb) not working with Player

Did you set the file path for the freedb database you downloaded in dAP Install Options? The path is Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP>Configuration>Install Options.
    From there you click on the button reading Audio CD handling and on the next window
    (which reads Audio CD Options) click on the Select button near the title FreedbServer.
    In the next window (dAP Select freedb Server) check the box that says "Offline Server". Then click on the button that says Set to set the filepath. Then click the OK buttons along the line.
    Please let us know if either you have already done this or if you do try it and it does not work. If that si the case then I would set dMC Audio CD Input to recognize and access the local freedb database as well. Open the Audio CD Input window and click on the arrow next to Freedb and select Freedb Server.
    Please let us know how you make out.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Scotty_B

Bill-

Yep. Thats what I did. Its what I meant by "pointed Player to it".

Thing is, if I select "offline server" with the correct path my firewall pops up and tells me dAP is trying to connect. If I deny the connection, no CDDB read is made and it wont play the cd until the time-out is made. If I allow internet access, the CDDB read is made nearly instantly. That leads me to believe that the local CDDB is not being used, or if it is being used, it should NOT be waiting for an internet connection.

I don't have dMC.

Thanks in advance :-)

Scott

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

My only other guess is to check out this thread:
        A thread was posted a few weeks back about using FreedB without internet connection. I downloaded the database and set it up with DMC so it automatically sets the track titles from the offline Database, It makes ripping CD's extremely quick :D Problem is I can't get the dBPowerAmp Audio Player to extract the info from the

If I understand this correctly, you may need to have dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) installed and configured for local Freedb as well, but I am not absolutely certain of this. Perhaps Spoon or another user who has worked with an offline freedb database could shed more light on this issue.
        Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

Well poop.

If dAP can't read froim a local CDDB why have the option there?
          Or maybe have the option say: "Do not connect to remote CDDB. Use CDplayer.ini instead." or some such deal like that.

Alternativly I suposs I could actualy run the entire server and connect to it via localhost.freedb or something. Sheesh, thats a little more involved than I wanted. Any idea on how much system rescources a full blown freedb server might use?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It would check cdplayer.ini as that is quick and easy - obviously the track has to be in cdplayer.ini (dMC cd input can do that by just refreshing a cd listing), it is a tricky issue this freedb - you wouldn't want your player stopping for 10-20 seconds whilst it tries to fetch something from the internet (offline would only be 5 seconds max).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>