title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trouble with Genres

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Trouble with Genres

I used dBpowerAMP's save collection function to save my music collection before reinstalling windows. Once I had done this and reloaded the player, when I opened my collection from this file i discovered that most of the song's had lost their entry for genre. The actual mp3's still have a genre, poweramp just won't load (even if i refresh from id tag). If I create a new collection and add tracks then everything is fine, however i don't want to have to re-rate my entire collection.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Trouble with Genres

Can't you edit your saved collection for genre? You can convert multiple tags for genre at the same time and it is a lot quicker than re-rating the entire collection.
    Of course I say this as someone who has had to rebuld my collection three times from scratch since I was not able to figure out how to save my collection.
    Anyway, that is the only thought I have, perhaps someone else has coped with this problem more successfully.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

When you save a music collection there are a few files saved, a .mmc and a seperate genre file as well - did you copy both over?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

from the help file:

"Backing up your Collection

It stands to reason, if you have spent time creating your collection and rating tracks, it should be backed up once in a while. Load MMC and look at the top on the title bar dBpowerAMP - Music Collection 'xxxxx' - will tell you the name of your collection files. Next look in the folder dAP was installed to (normally C:\Program Files\illustrate\dBpowerAmp). Your collection files will be a bunch of files all starting with the name of the active collection."

there are two files it saves that i know of, "filename.mcc" and "filename.mcg"
        Last edited by Spoons; July 04, 2004, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Unregistered

When i saved my collection it was to another drive and both the .mcc and .mcg files are present. After re-installing everything i then loaded the saved collection and about 80% of the genre entries were blank (where-as before they were all full.) That is some of the songs still have an entry for the genre!

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Perhaps you had 2 collections, one saved that contained older items?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hyrize
              • Jul 2004

no...i'm pretty sure i re-saved this collection right before i re-installed, so all the genre fields would have contained something (if that's what you meant) and anyway, i still don't understand why i just can't refresh the info from the file's id3 tag

oh yeah...and i regestered

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Indeed refresh from the ID tag should add any new genres, very odd.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tardmrr
                  • Jun 2003

I had a similar problem to this some time back. I don't remeber what I did right before or how I fixed it, but I lost all of my genre Information. I didn't use the backup feature, so perhaps that is not what caused the loss in this situation either. Oddly, my mp3's also still had the genre information in the tag but mmc just wouldn't recognize it.

This is a bug?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You did a 'refresh tag from file'?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tardmrr
                      • Jun 2003

I can't remember exactally, but I think I had just finished renaming all of my music and giving it correct genre information with a 3rd party program, and when I went into mmc the next time it had all the genres as empty fields. But in WinAmp and Windows Media player, the genres were still quite intact.

Comment

Working...

]]>