title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PC freezes as bitrate conversion starts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil

PC freezes as bitrate conversion starts

db power amp crashes JUST as it starts to change a bitrate of a file - i created a 235K file and it froze. cpu temperature is ok i believe (about 55C) - case is off.

are there any other cases of this happening? happens consistently.

XP Pro/SP1, several windows update hot fixes
    XP2100+
    Gigabyte 7VTX motherboard (may be a slight version variant of this)

can provide more info if needed.

thanks
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: PC freezes as bitrate conversion starts

Phil-
    dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player) plays music files whereas you are talking about converting bitrates which leads me to assume you are talking about a problem with dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC for short).
    What type of conversion are you trying to do (from what format and bitrate to what other format and bitrate)?
    Do some conversions work and others not or does this happen with all conversions?
    Assuming that this only happens with some conversions to some bitrates, it is known that dMC cannot convert to some bitrates and the fix for that is to try to find a bitrate that does work.
    Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

hi Bill,

i've only tried 2 files so far - 1 file crashed 3 times (rebooting in between just to make sure), and a second file did the same thing.

I'm trying to convert 256 > 128 bitrate and 192 > 128 on files roughly 10MB size.

haven't tried any other files or bitrates yet...i'll give them a go.

just wondered if there was a known issue or something

cheers
      Phil

Comment

• phil

if i can get this to work...i will be converting about 50 100MB+ files from 192 > 128 ... ho hum..!!!

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Phil-
          What formats are involved (eg. MP3 to MP3, MP2 to Ogg) or what?
          Have you used dMC in the past for conversions?

What you are trying is very doable but I should warn you that your 100MB+ files may prove to be too large to be handled by dMC. I've never tried this personally but I have seen some posts by people who ran into trouble trying to convert very large files.

But 10 MB+ should not be a problem, so let's try to get this straightened out.
          Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

By freeze you mean the hole pc just sticks - CTRL + ALT + DELETE does not bring up task list.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>