title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Playing off CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JahSun
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2003

Playing off CD

I normally use the DAP to play songs of various formats off of my Hardrive, and for this purpose it is most excellent.

However, I notice that when I play stuff off of CD I get breaks in the music.

I guess this is 2 problems with the same root:

1 Music files playing off of CDRom will often stutter as DAP goes to access the disc again.

2 Audio CD's play with minor breaks between songs. (Only noticeable when listening to live music or songs without any silence between them)

A few other programs also seem to have this problem, but even very simple ones don't. I mean the cheapy old school Windows CD Player from 10 years ago can play Audio CD's without any breaks.

Perhaps there is some way to maintain a larger RAM buffer reading ahead? Or get the CD to start reading again before the buffer runs out? Normal CD players just play the CD at the standard speed, and thus never spin down while trying to play. Is there any way to control the way that CD's are played?

Seems silly, but I actually have to turn off my omnipresent DAP to listen to anything off of CD.
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Playing off CD

it has been a while since i played an audio cd off the PC.

so i loaded one up and sure enough it skips and stutters. using h20 skin and directx output.

in wmpbeta10 (to campare) it plays as smooth as a babies bum.

so something is up and i am not sure what yet. and my dap buttons dissappear after i select a track off the cd and return to the dap screen.
    Last edited by Spoons; June 07, 2004, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• drspy00
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Apr 2004

Ive noticed the same problem with all music players for a number of years. It never happened with the old CD player in windows 98 or even the one in windows 3.1 going back a very long time.

I'm not sure if it happens when I play CDs in a dvd player software but I think it is better.

This is one of the reasons I rip CDs because it plays normally when like this and I have lots of CDs where its an entire score split into tracks so it really notices when there is a gap. I wonder what the problem is with this. Its not a problem with DAP maybe its a hardware or OS problem.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

i rechecked my cd i was using and the first track was a bit dodgy but after that is seemed to play fine.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Something like Nero drive speed (free) and set the maximum CD speed to 4x or x2 will help.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>