title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ok, maybe I'm just not bright enough for DBpowerAmp? (random play)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idj4u

• Nov 2003

Ok, maybe I'm just not bright enough for DBpowerAmp? (random play)

I used to use Winamp - but it used too much grunt on the old Win98 PC.

So now I like DB.

I have sorted out playlists, I know how to create a playlist, or a series of them etc. No drama.

What I want to do is an old Winamp trick (sorry, it's just familiar). I want to be able to randomise the play order of the playlist.

If "random" is on, surely the tracks should not go from 1 to 20, instead going 4, 6, 18, 1, 15, 17 etc.

I would like to simply have the player pick the next track at random from any of the 1400 MP3s on the available drive. I'm hoping it's simple as I need to run this on my mother in law's PC, and she desn't like clicking lots of buttons. :(

Any suggestions or just real basic 101 on how to shuffle the order, greatly appreciated.

Thanks - all the way from New Zealand.
  • Paddy
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jan 2003

Re: Ok, maybe I'm just not bright enough for DBpowerAmp? (random play)

Since using DAP I haven't needed to use playlists at all :D Just add all of your 1400 MP3's on your Hard Disk into My Music Collection (MMC) and then select the Random Play button in MMC or one of the buttons (maybe Shuffle, depends on skin used!) on the actual Amp interface. This will play your entire music collection in a random order

If you want to randomly play just songs by one artist or from an album, or even from a specific genre, then you can use the selective play tool (again selectable in MMC)with Random Play set. Or best bet is to create a Playlistish by using the enqueue function and creating a queued list of songs that you want to play, listed in order at the bottom of MMC, then right click on the list and select Randomize queued items.

Hope this helps :D

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Paddy
      Hope this helps :D
      Yes, it has helped mostly! Thanks! I seem to be getting a random selection from the 1400 file database.

But what you're saying is I can't create and save playlists and have that playlist go random?

Let's assume I want "best of the 80s" to play in no paticular order. I have a playlist saved with a bunch of 80s songs. How do I select that playlist and have those tracks play in no paticular order?

Comment

• Paddy
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jan 2003

Originally posted by Unregistered
        How do I select that playlist and have those tracks play in no paticular order?
        When you load your 'best of the 80's' playlist, it should appear in the playlist window and at the bottom of it there is an enqueue button. Click it and all the tracks in your playlist should be placed in the queue to be played (the queue will be shown at the bottom of MMC). Then with the MP3's queued, do as I said before and right click the queue list and select randomize the selection to get your playlist in a random order. Only problem is there isn't a repeat function as such so you will have to keep on adding your playlist to the queue every time it finshes all the songs.

It is a slightly long winded way of doing it, but the way I believe Spoon is developing DAP is to remove the need for playlists and use the enqueue function instead. For example if you have an album called 'the best of the 80's' you can use the right click options in MMC, to play the album or the select album->enqueue selction options to get those tracks queued up ready to play, then just randomize that list.

:D

Comment

• idj4u

• Nov 2003

Ok - that seems to make sense! Thanks - appreciate you taking the time.

Now, I wonder if the mother in law can handle that....??

and what happened to my username? LOL

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You can load a playlist into the playlist editor and right click on one of the tracks to randomize the tracks within a playlist.

Really the Music Collection is better, load your tracks, tag them right (multi genres), then if you want just 80's create a selective play.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• PalamarTM

• Dec 2003

I'm with idj4u, there are Randomize buttons on the main player and the music collection, but when you activate them, they seem to have no affect when playing from any kind of a list. The Randomize Queued Items right-click menu in the music collection does the job, but what are the two Randomize Buttons for? Are they only useful when I play directly from an audion CD?

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

The Random buttons on the player and the My Music Collection perform the same function-the create a random play of the entire Music Collection. BUT what you can do also is to combine the Selective Play feature with the Random Play feature so that you can randomly play tracks by one or more artists, from one or more genres, from one or more albums rather than random play the entire collection. So this time of year, I often set Selective Play to confine itself to the genres Christmas and Medieval and then use Random Play to select tracks from those genres randomly. Likewise, during the rest of the year I de-select the Christmas tracks and re-activate my other genres. For this to work, it is important to keep up your cateloging of your music collection.
                Hope this helps.
                Best wishes,
                Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• donny
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

And if you need more control over the queue try the QueMaster... it is still a beta, but it is stable and functional... download from my signature. Also there will be a final version in a couple of day as soon as I finish the help file

Comment

Working...

]]>