title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP4 codec problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

MP4 codec problem

I was playing with converting files to MP4 format and I have come across a problem with the codec. Everytime I try to convert a song to MP4, either from MP3, APE or right off the CD, the process fails. When ripping a song off a CD I get the following error after it is about 9-10% complete:

Illegal operation
    Invalid page exception
    Fault location 0028:0013
    Codec Error

I get a similar error when converting from another format. I did not have any problems at all with the AAC codec. I am running Win 98SE.

Just thought I would let you know. Keep up the excellent work.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: MP4 codec problem

Try installing the slower Mp4 option over the top (on the same download page).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
      Try installing the slower Mp4 option over the top (on the same download page).
      I did. I should have mentioned that in the first post. I got the same error with and without the slower option.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Is your Audio files 44 KHz 16bit stereo?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Is your Audio files 44 KHz 16bit stereo?
          I don't know. The file I was converting was .ape which I ripped from the CD at normal compression.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Pretty much out of ideas, try a different ape file to compress.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Pretty much out of ideas, try a different ape file to compress.
              I ripped a different CD to APE and then tried to convert a song to MP4. I got the same error.

Comment

• Unregistered

Ok, I downloaded the new version of the music converter and reinstalled all of the MP4 & AAC codecs. Then I did some playing. Here's what I found out:

1. I still get the same error trying to convert anything to MP4. The codec fails (error message that is given) after converting about 9% of the file. The error does not happen gracefully as it keeps the COMMAND.COM open but I am unable to close it with going to the task manager. It also causes other internal problems which in the end force me to do a hard reboot of my system to correct.

2. Using the convert AAC to MP4 function works fine.

And what may be stating what is already known:

1. Quicktime does not recognize AAC as a file type it can play. It must be either MP4 or M4A. It considers MP4 a movie format.

2. Real One says it can play MP4's. It cannot. Maybe I need the full (purchased) vesion though.

Comment

• Unregistered

I'm having problems with these too. Ripping CDs to AAC works fine but in the 2 CDs I have tried I'm left with 2 of the songs showing up with 0 seconds of song in the MMC.

The files play fine but seem to have random lenghts in winamp, not tested iTunes but with them showing up as 0 seconds long they dont work well with playlists and the MMC shows its playing the next queued song even though its still playing one of the screwed up songs.

I can rip to any other format from both CDs and the only way to get the 0 second songs working normally as AACs was to rip to wave then convert using a Psytel encoder I downloaded. After that the songs worked perfectly in the MMC.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Perhaps the profile chosen in Psytel was causing the problems? of 0 length.

For the other guy, are you able to Rip to AAC then do the AAC >> Mp4 without it crashing?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Could well be..

Changed Header from ADTS to ADIF within the DMC Compression settings and all is well

Strange it just messed up a couple of songs on each CD though. Ahh well, works now. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Unregistered

For the other guy, are you able to Rip to AAC then do the AAC >> Mp4 without it crashing?[/QUOTE]

Yes ripping to AAC then doing the conversion ACC >> MP4 works. I only get problems when I try to convert to MP4 using anything but the AAC >> MP4 codec.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

All I can suggest is to go AAC then AAC to Mp4, I will be releasing a Nero Mp4 codec pretty soon.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vinnie97
                            • Dec 2003

I will be releasing a Nero Mp4 codec pretty soon.
                            W/ included support for HE-AAC encoding? :shocked: I'm guessing it will be a CLI encoder and thus, be dependent on Nero Burning Rom 6.0.

EDIT: I now see this is in the player forum. Will this codec be extended to the converter and encoding purposes?
                            Last edited by vinnie97; December 07, 2003, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Yes for Converting, just working out the last bug with Nero, it will rely on the purchase of Nero 6, or the soon to be released Nero Digital encoder (on its own).
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>