title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Buffering

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yahu

• Aug 2003

Buffering

Is there a way to increase the buffer size. I am using a 1Ghz PC and the music cuts out sometimes.
  • donny
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

How much RAM do you have then?
    I have a Duron 850MHz with 256MB and it doesn't cut out at all ( except when I insert a CD or do something that is really hard work for the PC

Is it cuting out just in some specifik ocasions?

Comment

• Yahu

• Aug 2003

I have 256.

It seems to cut out at ramdom. But I typically do have multiple app's running at the same time. The MP3s I am listening to are on a CD. When it cuts out, shortly afterwards, I can heard the CD drive.

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

Well, I think that explains it... I listen to songs from the hard-drive mostly....
        No I don't think that there is a way to increase the buffer, and I guess that sometimes the system just can't supply enough data to the player so it cuts out...

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

dAP buffers for many a second in advance, but saying that I could create a program that sent 100 seconds worth of audio and it would still 'blank' out occasionally because there are somethings in the system (such as sustained HD transfer) that have a higher priority than the sound card drivers...
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Yahu

• Aug 2003

So I take it that I'll just have to live it.

Comment

• Yahu

• Aug 2003

I understand that the operating system will prioritize some operations over others, but I have times where I am not doing anything on the PC and there will be a gap in the music being played, then I can heard the CD drive kick in.

While it would not solve all of the cases, could an increased buffer help in the case of reading MP3s off of a CD? :blush:

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

i think it is all relative to cd to hardrive to soundcard.

to run music off a cd rom i would recomend at least 7500rpm hardrive with a good seek time and a fast cd rom drive. then there is the location and size of the swap file which needs plenty of room. also different sound cards will produce different speed issues. i have an audiowerks card for recording music but for cd rom play back it will stop and start all over the place because the card requires a lot of cpu grunt to run. but my cheap soundblaster live value! card will do it fine.

many things to consider and the reality of it is if you want to play mp3's off your cd rom it is much easier and better just top copy them over to the hardrive for playing. the results will be more satisfying than trying to push a square peg in a round hole :D .

Comment

Working...

]]>