title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

volume normalization won't work

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • irisclara
    • Aug 2003

volume normalization won't work

I set the volume for some tracks using the slider on the right of the music collection window, but next time the tracks play the settings are gone. Do I need to make sure the slider is selected/enabled for all the tracks in my collection? I love this player but the normalization is one of the features that excited me the most and I can't get it to work! Please give me the moron's version of using it. I followed all the instructions on the help page, even reloaded my collection making sure the normalization box is checked (in new track preferences) but the loud tracks are still too loud and the quiet ones still too quiet.
    Last edited by irisclara; August 21, 2003, 05:48 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

If that option is checked then the Green 'A' will be lit up this says the track has yet to have its normalization found. When played randomly the value is worked out and the position will be set on the scale for the next time it plays.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• irisclara
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for the prompt response! I'll try playing all the tracks I know are quiet and loud first. The ones I set manually usually change the levels the next time they play. I'll be patient and let the auto-thingie work.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Get the latest beta version of dap, otherwise the tracks have to play naturally from Random play before the volume normalize is worked out.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• irisclara
          • Aug 2003

I got the beta but it still looks like I'm going to have a long wait. It transferred my collection and settings but didn't change the [COLOR=green]A[/COLOR]. I thought I had saved the collection and settings so I cleared the list and loaded it again to see if the check box in new track settings would normalize them as it added them. Not only did it not work, I lost all the settings and can't restore them. Is there any way to back up my collection settings? I'm starting from scratch again having to listen to all 6000 tracks (again 8/28). At least I can queue them so the randomizer won't repeat but at this rate I had better start running it while I'm asleep and at work or I'll still be at it when that beta becomes v3.
          I'm only whining because I know it will be so cool when it's done. I can finally put my bootlegs in the randomizer but won't be able to hear them in all their glory till the second time they play. Grrr. Patience, Iris, patience.
          BTW, do you know why some tracks won't normalize no matter how often they're played? It looked like about 5% of the played tracks from my old list were like this.
          Last edited by irisclara; August 28, 2003, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• irisclara
            • Aug 2003

I might have solved the 5% mystery. I'm not sure but it may be related to variable bitrate. After I converted all tracks to either 128, 160, or 192 kbps none of them have given me that problem. Of course, I'm only 280 tracks into 5899 but so far everything is working. Stilll wish I could save the normalization settings, though.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

>BTW, do you know why some tracks won't normalize no matter how often they're played?

You mean the green 'A' stays lighted after they have played all the way through?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• irisclara
                • Aug 2003

That's right. That is what I was referring to in my last post. About 5% of all the tracks in the collection would keep the green A lit no matter how many times I played them. I thought it was weird that usually it would be one song on an album. I'm almost 2000 tracks into the collection and the variable bitrate hypothesis (daP can't normalize them) is holding true. Now I've got 5 tracks ranging from 2 to 4 seconds (52 to 110 KB) long that are normalized (green A faded, volume boost level set) but aren't showing that they've been played. Is there any way to save the volume boost settings? I keep accidentally losing them.
                Hope you enjoyed your vacation!
                Last edited by irisclara; September 04, 2003, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Ah right, I think these files are too short, that is why they are not showing up as played, etc.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• irisclara
                    • Aug 2003

I have confirmed that neither dBplayer2 nor the beta 3 can normalize variable bitrate mp3s. I don't know if this is a bug or not but it is consistent. Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Please send me one such file:

Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• irisclara
                        • Aug 2003

sent

Comment

• irisclara
                          • Aug 2003

About that thing with the vol. boost slider setting without the track showing as played. I have found one that's over 3 minutes long and another that's at least 2:30.
                          Sorry for being a pain with all this. My MMC is over 2/3 played now. I think the player is just great. Since I'm using the beta, should I be posting this in the beta forum?

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Re: volume normalization won't work

I will take a look at it when I get a chance and will email. Posting here is fine.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>