title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MMC - Slow to add new tracks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: MMC - Slow to add new tracks?

on closer inspection i found the slower loading files were all id3ver1.0 and had strange comments in the comment fields like ", AG# 48A40908"

Comment

• Unregistered

This slow addition of tracks is indeed extremely frustrating. After getting turned off by MusicMatch Jukebox, I've gone on a quest to find a player that will do everything that MMJB did, only friendlier, cheaper, and with support for more codecs. I'm not a techie, so it's been quite an education.

I've tried every imaginable amp, save winamp (for some reason, I just never got around to it. Weird, I know.) Seriously, perhaps 25 music players have crossed my desktop, most immediately discarded for some shortcoming or another. DbPowerAmp was all set to be my current favorite, until I tried to import my 1800+ file music collection. I'm more than an hour into it, and I'm still not even half done. MediaMonkey did the same import in less time than I could notice. JetAudio does it in about 30 seconds. Same files. Same directory structure. Same displayed info. What gives?? I'm already thinking about uninstalling the whole thing and just sticking with MediaMonkey in spite of the clunky interface, tiny player, and occasional nags for money.

Otherwise, a fantastic program, but this is definitely a deal-breaker. By the way, I'd gladly pay $50 or so to support the perfect media player, if only I could FIND the perfect media player. DAP is close, and so are MediaMonkey and JetAudio, but each has a flaw that I have a hard time dealing with. DAP's flaw is the slow MMC loading. What's it going to be like when I finally get around to ripping my 1000+ cd collection?

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

well, the point is that later on the files that are already in the collection are not added again, so only the new files are inspected closesly... and you only need to add files just once to the collection...

oh, and you can add the new files to mmc with right-clik->"add to dAP" function from explorer (or whatever you are using). this is faster, of course, but you have to select all of the new files...

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If you install Release 11 of the music converter - it has a new mp3 decoder that is faster at reading tags.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

DAP's flaw is the slow MMC loading. What's it going to be like when I finally get around to ripping my 1000+ cd collection?
            i don't know if thats a bug/flaw as i can quickly add Music across the network. for me it was something to do with the idtags that were causing the problem. but why WMP would do it but not MMC i don't know. perhaps WMP ignores certain flaws in id3tags where as dap/MMC doesn't?

Comment

• OldCoder
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2003

Just to encourage individuals contemplating using dbPoweramp for sizeable collections, I can assure you that MMC can handle the strain without any problem. I have built up over 11,600 tracks in APE format, must be well over 600 cds at this point (I really haven't counted) consuming 233 GB. Every time I add more cds, usually in batches of 20-30, I make some mistake with the tagging. I correct the tagging with the "Convert/Retag from filename" after renaming directories and files, and rebuild the entire collection.

It takes less than 5 minutes to do the rebuild.

Of course, I lose all my playing history and changes to ratings, but until I finish this, I see no way around it other than to stop making mistakes. I suppose I could just re-import the corrections, but that takes me longer than a complete rebuild.

If you have a large collection, spend the money on enough disk to keep it lossless, and dbPoweramp will protect the time you have invested. For me, that is the last 18 months of playing with music on computers.

I doubt that you will find the "perfect player". For me, Spoonware is as close as it gets, one step closer to perfect everyday.....

Comment

Working...

]]>