title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Searching in MMC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky

Searching in MMC

The Search feature is wonderful for large collections but I'd also like to be able to search by genre rather than having to sort the column and scroll down 6,000 files to find the specific genre I'm looking for.

Including genre in "Search" should be possible, shouldn't it?

~sky
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

I'm not sure how that would work? the search results would be the same if you searched by genre. as you would be typing in a title name or album name or artist. what would you put in the search if there was a genre option?

as it stands now, search kind of works like a dictionary does.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Searching in MMC

Sorry for digging up an old post, I'm just starting to transfer all my CDs over to MP3 and this software is the best I've found so far.

I would also like to see a search by genre, as this is supported in Realplayer and works well. Sometimes I cant remember the name of the track or artist but know its 60's rock or whatever.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

no need to be sorry for doing a search on something that's relative to your needs/question. if anything thanks for using the search function :D

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

i have re read your post and still i don't quite understand how it would work.

if you don't know the artist or track name what would you put in the search field? you do know you can just click on the "genre" colum and it will group/sort the genre's. ?

Comment

• dbample
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Oct 2002

I believe s/he wants to effectively jump quickly to the required genre by typing the genre name in the search box. Right now, after sorting by genre, you have to scroll down to the one you are looking for.

I guess this might be an issue if you have excessively large collection with hundred and hundreds (thousands?) of different genres. Still, by the time you type the genre name in the search box, and turn off searches by album, artist, etc., is this really saving any time compared to just page-scrolling to the genre you need?

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

i can see it from that point of view now.

however there is in place an option to right click over any artist/album and the select select same-->Genre, and that will automatically group the genre also.

Comment

• OldCoder
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2003

Another way to to address the genre search question would be to have a new MMC window be opened, with the same columns as always, but with *only* the search hits being shown.

Then using the column sort would allow ordering the search hits, effectively adding "genre" to the search parameters.

This is similar to how Windows 2K and XP Explorer behaves, and while I'm not a huge M$ fan, it is nice when searching through 250,000 files, and it might work as well if you were trying to manage 1,000+ songs. And it would not require a "learning curve" for most MMC users.

Or the search function could be enhanced to have an "advanced" mode, where a new window would open with one field for each of the displayed (or supported) columns. You could then specify search values specific to each field.

Unfortunately, there's always more that could be done than there is hours in Spoon's day.........

One trick that could be implemented by the user *RIGHT NOW* is to use MMC's EXPORT function, creating a text file on your hard drive. Then, use that file with some other program (Excel, Wordpad, Access, VB etc) to do your lookups. While this doesn't lead to immediate gratification, it does work without imposing further on Spoon.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

It was part of the Master Plan to have a Genre Tab, and then search within the Genre.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>