title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trying to fill with water a bucket with a hole

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • al-zoir
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2006

Trying to fill with water a bucket with a hole

There I have it again. Getting my 76000 songs Music Collection to 13500. Again all of a sudden after switching off the player, appears the selective way of playing the files, I press OK and then I get 'editor.exe is not functioning' good and a far less number of songs then I had. I don't loose the songs, but only the data, even from the files I used for saving the collection. I will reload the songs and I will have again a nearly 10% of songs with wrong or missing data. Obviously this program is not the proper one for the use I want, can someone advise me for buying a new one, more steady. Up to now, I have not found a player with the possibility to play a genre only, or a year or anything else of the possibilities of the DAB, but with steadyness.

One note. For the editing of the songs I am using the 'Soundforge' program, which cannot function on recording mode when DAB is on, so I have to sign it off each time I want to make a recording (say from the radio or from vinyl). The whole situation always has this trying to sign off, as its beginning. DESPERATE!!! It's the 4th time I am losing my music collection data. And in the directives you say that you can have many collections, at least your wife could have a seperate one. Imagine to do all the loadings and the unloadings, I think it is a lie and totally impossible to function well!!!

And I do save my recordings. But since they are lost even from the saving file. what's the use? Can't believe how a wrong selection of method I have done to make a respectible music archive!
  • Craze
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Oct 2002

Re: Trying to fill with water a bucket with a hole

[SIZE=2]How long does it take to load up 70K tracks? Or even play them?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]But that's your thang and your goals,...and Spoon says that it ought to work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]If I read your posts correctly, you label dAP as unstable and can't perform your task. You prefer using the outdated older dAP r2 version over the most stable version; dAP r3 beta 6, because the track popup info from MMC was dropped and you didn't like MMC's new color scheme, which can be changed fairly easily. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]These mp3s still play in MusicMatch with tags intact? So you still have the original song files? And they play? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I think you've chose r2 for all the wrong reasons. It had quite a few bugs that r3 solved over the course of six upgrades. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]You don't sound like a quitter and you'd still like to make it work. So why wouldn't you go ahead and upgrade to the most stable version of dAP and see if the problem solves itself? I'm not an expert. But this is what I would try before throwing in the towel and bashing the product. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]You're not going to find a better player until the next release. I'd start over with dAP r3 and see what you get. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Best wishes,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Craze[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]PS: I'm stll proud to be a Skin Designer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Where'd our status emblem go? :D[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Craze; February 03, 2009, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• donny
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Oct 2002

I agree, the newser release is more stable for me too...

I am not sure what are the problems or why they happen. Spoon says it should work, and there were people with quite big collections around, I belive they had similar numbers as you have, so I think it is doable.

A thing I could recommend is to back up the mcc file before doing actions that you think can crash DAP. I mean the actuall mcc file with the collection. You can do it by saving the collection in MMC under another name, or by coping the file in Windows Explorer (or other file manager).
      It is posible that there is somekind of an memory overload because of the amount of tracks that are loaded and the calculations that are executed for the selective play. Don't know what else could it be...

And anyway it is not nice to say that everything is a lie and can't function well at all. Yes you have problems but these things are complicated and it is hard to say what is producing the problem... Spoon really does create quite relieble programs, on my PC DAP is quite probably the program that crashed least times, and it's on almost all the time for the last six years...

@Craze, I think all the public groups got lost when the forum upgraded to a new version. Nothing of that was restored...

Comment

• al-zoir
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2006

I am astonished that someone took the pain to read all my 'serial complains' and thank him for that. You are both right in all items except one. I don't go to the new version mostly because the song's id does not pop up just gelling the mouse's arrow nearby, and that I need since I add all the time new revordings. THAT seems to be my problem, ther great number and the fact that each and every day I add new ones (just reached 75.500!!!)

I did use your advice to store the collection under another name, and that sure is a solution. I also store my new recordings each and every day before shutting the laptop and in TWO places, different discs. So far, even a repetitive current drop-out which is always annoying for the good fuctioning of a computer, everything was ok, since I only lost the one of the two files, so I just had to load the file. That seems to be the remedy..

As you can see, you are right that I am not a quitter, and it's not only this... I just adore this program. Nothing else I ever tried suited my needs more....
        Be sure that the large number does not ever have a bad result on playing back all those tracks. Thank you for your concern.

Only thing I lack is to poursuit the new tendencies of dAP. Can't make anything function after downloading, I do not even find it set up. I would like to say to the founder of the program to believe more in the possibillities of his player, and ameliorate it. None of the commercial programs I know I like better, even on the topic of the appearence and the wonderful classification it does. Even with the days or months of work and repetitions it tales me...I love it!!!

Comment

Working...

]]>