title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WAV -> OGG very slow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

WAV -> OGG very slow

converting wav to ogg files is very slow, it took 2:15 to convert a file using dmc and only 1:10 to do the same file using oggdropXPd.

Both were converting to the same settings.

This makes it substantially faster to use dmc to rip cd's to wav, use the free wavtrim to clip silence and then drop them onto oggdropXPd than it is to rip cd -> ogg in dmc, even without using the silence trimmer in the powerpack and using rip to ram (128mb)

I've checked that professional sample rate conversion isn't on.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Here is my test - same file encoded to VBR (.4 128Kbps):

with OggDropXP 1M 0S
    with dBpowerAMP 1M 20S

I put the speed differences down to OggDropXP being compiled in ICL - which is suited to Ogg.

Not twice as slow in my case.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: WAV -> OGG very slow

a slight note

I notice that when encoding on my machiene. i can encode to Mp3 or WMA at about 18 - 21 X

encoding to Ogg I usualy only encode at 5 - 7 X

is this normal behavior for ogg?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Re: WAV -> OGG very slow

[/QUOTE] notice that when encoding on my machiene. i can encode to Mp3 or WMA at about 18 - 21 X

encoding to Ogg I usualy only encode at 5 - 7 X

is this normal behavior for ogg?[QUOTE]
        What settings are you using?
        I seem to have mp3 (Lame) and Ogg converting at about the same speed (maybe 5x Realtime for 128 kbs cbr) and wma quite a bit faster (around 13x realtime for 128 kbs cbr). Ogg is known to be not the fastest codec, so I don't think your results are abnormal for Ogg.
        Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>