title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

music collection hangs on adding folder to library

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mas0212
    • Jan 2007

music collection hangs on adding folder to library

Hi,

I don't know whether this is the right forum for this question, so if there's a better place just tell me -- I'm new here.

I just installed the dbPowerAmp tools and I want to try out the features of the dbPowerAmp music collection app. I opened the program and clicked the "Add Music" button and selected the folder that has my music in it, and a dialog box comes up that says "Adding Tracks", and then nothing happens. If I Alt-Tab to a different app, when I come back to the music collection only the window borders appear -- the middle of the app is white. If I shut down the program using the task manager, I can't restart it until I've run the dbPowerAmp audio player once.

Is this normal? I.e., is it doing something in importing those files that takes a long time and I should just wait for it? The files are encoded in Apple Lossless format, if that makes a difference.

Any advice?

Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: music collection hangs on adding folder to library

If you are adding a large amount (above about 75) files at one time in multiple folders, dAP will need some time to find them all, read their tags, and add them to the collection. This is especially true if your files are lossless, as yours are. Let it run for a few hours and then see if it is working.

Comment

• mas0212
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for your reply.

I have some more info. All the files that cause problems on import were ripped by iTunes into Apple Lossless format. The Music Collection doesn't hang if I add music that was ripped by dMC. The problem is with specific files that were ripped by iTunes. If I try to add individual files, the music collection hangs on some but adds others just fine, nearly instantaneously. I've also been able to generate what I think is the same effect by just hovering my mouse over the files that won't import -- GetPopupInfo.exe goes to 50% CPU usage (I'm on a dual core system, so that's effectively 100% for that core) and doesn't stop.

So it looks like some of my iTunes-ripped files are corrupted, which makes sense, since I was having problems with reading from my drive before (was using the wrong type of IDE cable).

I guess I basically know what the problem is now. I don't have that many files to import, so re-ripping them isn't a big deal.

It would be good, though, if the music collection and GetPopupInfo.exe could recognize when a file is corrupted and handle it nicely, rather than hanging and maxing out the cpu. I would be happy to provide one of my corrupted files if it would be useful towards getting the dbPowerAmp utilities to handle this situation more gracefully.

Otherwise this seems like a great product. I'm just trying it out for the first time (just downloaded it this afternoon) but so far so good, other than this small issue.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Moved to dAP Support

Comment

Working...

]]>