title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lost Entire Music Collection List

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SOT
    • Jun 2002

Lost Entire Music Collection List

Yes.... indeed... I lost all my music ratings, how many times tracks have been played, etc...

Motive: I did a dumb thing and DB erased all the List. Let me explain:

I was moving folders around, and I moved accidentaly the folder that contained the .mcc file... When I opened the mmc window it said (error writing to xxxxxx/xxx.mcc) I said: ok, let´s just move the folder back and reload the collection. But it didn´t restore anything. When I looked into the mcc filesize... 0Kbytes.

Bummer... Starting from 0 again. :vmad: :vmad: :headbang:
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Hopefully everyone will backup their music collection, I lost mine once when my wife tried to learn how to use dAP...luckily I back it up every 2 weeks.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• b medici
      • Jan 2005

Re: Lost Entire Music Collection List

spoon.hi.
      i recently had to reinstall my db poweramp program and all of its extras.im a registered user.
      my problem was this
      when i go to rip a cd,it gives me an error that d:\dbpowerAMP\musiccolletion.mcc is not accessable.
      and it makes an error for each song! so if i rip 30 songs i get that error for every one!!! you can imagine having to close each error box and how frustrating this is.
      prior to upgrading to version 11 of this stuff i never had a problem or reason to come here.
      now?
      ahhhhhh
      the main problem is that my "d' drive its attempting to 'save' the ripped songs to is my writing drive.
      and i dont know how to make it save the songs in a different drive letter.
      please help.
      thank you all for all the info here.

Comment

• ferris209
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2003

Spoon, if not added to your HUGH list already, it would be cools to have some sort of auto-backup on a schedule, for those of us who let it go a couple months absent mindedly without backing-up.

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

sounds like your ripping to the cd drive. are you using dmc cd input to rip your cd's?

if so, when you convert with right click option just browse and or create a new folder on your "c" drive to convert to.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Save your collection to drive c: (not drive d:which is the cd drive).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• b medici
              • Jan 2005

sigh.i dont know how.
              but im not givin up!

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Open My Music Collection >> Click Collection Button >> Save As...

then open drive c:\ and type a name such as:

dbpoweramp music

click ok.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

An easy way to backup your music collection is with a batch file. Open an explorer window to the directory containing your music collection files. For this example, I'll use the names of my Music Collection files: variety.mcc and variety.mcg. Make a new text file and name it whatever you want, for example "Backup Music Collection". Here's the contents of my file:
                  Code:
                  copy variety.mcc variety.mcc.bak
                  WAIT
                  copy variety.mcg variety.mcg.bak
                  After you create this file, change the extension of the text file from ".txt" to ".bat". This will make it a batch file. Now try running it.
                  This will create two new files with the names "variety.mcc.bak" and "variety.mcg.bak".

Note that to edit the file, right-click and select edit. Otherwise, you will just run it again. Also, this over-writes any previous files created with this file.

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

here is another one.

Code:
                    @echo off
                    if exist c:\backupdmc\nul goto backup
                    goto END

:BACKUP
                    pushd .
                    cd musiccollection
                    xcopy *.* c:\backupdmc /M /D /S 
                    popd

:END
                    # If you have Windows XP, you can also schedule a task to run every few hours. To do so:

* Go to the Control Panel [Start, Control], Select "Performance and Maintenance", Click "Scheduled Tasks"
                    * Select "Add Scheduled Task". The Schedule Wizard starts.
                    * Click Browse, and find c:\program files\backup.bat
                    * Set the task to run Daily, starting at 8AM (or whenever you wake up...), click next
                    * Enter your password, then click on "Open Advanced Properties...."
                    * Pick the Schedule tab, select advanced
                    * Click on "Repeat Task", every 1 Hour (set your own schedule), for a duration of 12 hours. What this does is start at 8AM (from step D above), and then every hour backup will run, until 12 hours have passed (8 PM). So adjust the times to fit your work schedule.
                    * Hit OK...you are now finished!
                    Last edited by Spoons; February 09, 2005, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Razgo
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

the above are examples i found and of course replace the folder names and paths with ones you have.

Comment

• al-zoir
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by LtData
                        An easy way to backup your music collection is with a batch file. Open an explorer window to the directory containing your music collection files. For this example, I'll use the names of my Music Collection files: variety.mcc and variety.mcg. Make a new text file and name it whatever you want, for example "Backup Music Collection". Here's the contents of my file:
                        Code:
                        copy variety.mcc variety.mcc.bak
                        WAIT
                        copy variety.mcg variety.mcg.bak
                        After you create this file, change the extension of the text file from ".txt" to ".bat". This will make it a batch file. Now try running it.
                        This will create two new files with the names "variety.mcc.bak" and "variety.mcg.bak".

Note that to edit the file, right-click and select edit. Otherwise, you will just run it again. Also, this over-writes any previous files created with this file.
                        Try to run it...And if it doesn't like in my case, what then?

Could you describe more detailed way of doing this automation of backing up mcc? I am sorry but I can't follow...
                        Last edited by al-zoir; December 28, 2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>