title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dAP Moved my music!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wiser
    • Aug 2006

dAP Moved my music!

IF YOU VALUE YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY DON'T INSTALL dbpowerAMP Audio Player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did and now over 200 gigs of music are tossed about my hard-drive willy nilly! This program renames folders and pulls music out and throws it God knows where!
    I will NEVER be able to put my music library back together again!
    I'm just glad these people are in another country because I'd surely go to prison for life for what I want to do to them for this horrible injustice!
    Last edited by ChristinaS; August 09, 2006, 03:52 AM.
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: !!!!!!!!warning!!!!!!!!!

the chances are you did somehting wrong. dbpoweramp does not do this on its own.

i understand you are angry but after something like 6 years this is the first time i have heard of it doing this on its own accord.

you need to explain what you did that cuased this.

and surley you can imagine what the developer would like to do to people who make such claims

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Errr... what exactly did you do? I have been using all dBpowerAMP programs (except for Sveta since I don't own an mp3 player) and I've never ever had any problem such as what you think you have.

Incidentally this is the first post you make. It is normal for people to read the help files and maybe ask for advice before plunging blindly into something they don't understand.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The ONLY way this happens is if you tell dAP to arrange your music. If I remember correctly, there is a warning before you do this. Apparently you did not heed the warning.

Also, moved to dAP Support.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

I agree with Lt. Data the ONLY way this happens if you allow dAP to arrange your music.

After installing dAP how did you go about loading details of your existing music files into MMC?

Wayne

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Apart from second-guessing the cause for your debacle (which I also suspect is most likely related to selecting "Arrange Music" from within dAP assuming that dAP is indeed the culprit), it should be possible to re-arrange your music files in a desirable order. If you care to share some details about the filing set-up you would like to have and some details about how these are set-up currently (while they might seem "willy-nilly" I do suspect that there is some order to them, albeit the order may not be what you desire).

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Within MMC on the Add Music button clicking on the little arrow next to it opens a small menu that allows you to set your preferences when adding new tracks.

Having used dAP for many years now I can not remember MMC's default settings. Is MMC initially set up to move and reorganise the new files as they are added?

In that case Wiser could have just clicked on the Add Music button and MMC did the rest.

Definitely case of RTFM (or help notes).

Wayne

Comment

• donny
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Oct 2002

no initialy, if you want, you can set a folder from where files will be taken and put into the curent arrangement. But it is not on, nor it could be, being that it can't know what folder you want it to scan.

But if the user from post#1 have set his music folder as this one, then that could have caused the problem reported.
                Anyway this is under "damage while missusing the program."

I also assume that those 200 gigs wheren't labeled and taged correctly right? or this wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

as already mentioned, dAP will not move any audio unless the option Arrange Music is selected - get a fresh computer and install dAP that option is off.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Wiser
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Wayne
                    I agree with Lt. Data the ONLY way this happens if you allow dAP to arrange your music.

After installing dAP how did you go about loading details of your existing music files into MMC?

Wayne
                    Yes, you are all correct: I asked it to arrange, and there was a warning. But either the wording was unclear or I misunderstood; I thought it would create another folder and dump everything into it.
                    I didn't know it would MOVE all my tunes out of the folders, make new folders, and create new folders with the names of some of the songs as the new names of the folders!
                    I think the developers should be just a tad clearer on exactly what this program does.
                    As to my songs, no I didn't have them "properly labeled" I didn't need to, they were in FOLDERS!
                    FWIW, I've just gone ahead and uninstalled the program.
                    I still love the dbpowerAMP converter and I am sorry I lost my temper.

Comment

• donny
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Oct 2002

In arrange files it says:

*** warning - using this function moves all the files listed in My Music Collection ***

it looks clear to me. and you have the option to select how the files will be arranged dependin on the data in MMC.

and if it copied all the music to a new folder - not move - well you would have another 200gigs of music taking space, plus it would last forever...

yeah I know a part of how you feel - I lost some data on track order in a similar way, but a long time ago I arranged the files and now I manualy add all the music into that structure, so it's all neat. Would like to just arrange them, but sometimes it would require a lot of taging on some old stuff...

Comment

• Wiser
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by donny
                        In arrange files it says:

*** warning - using this function moves all the files listed in My Music Collection ***

it looks clear to me. and you have the option to select how the files will be arranged dependin on the data in MMC.

and if it copied all the music to a new folder - not move - well you would have another 200gigs of music taking space, plus it would last forever...

<snip>
                        I have over 1000gigs on my PC...that's why I thought, what the hell, I can handle 200 more gigs of music...
                        I'm going to be sorting this all out for many months to come. Will someone explain to me why this program changes file names and folder names?? What possible good reason could there be for such things?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Wiser
                          I have over 1000gigs on my PC...that's why I thought, what the hell, I can handle 200 more gigs of music...
                          I'm going to be sorting this all out for many months to come. Will someone explain to me why this program changes file names and folder names?? What possible good reason could there be for such things?
                          A good reason is if all your files were dumped originally in one single folder, while being correctly tagged and titled though. Maybe you then want to have them separated into different folders based on tag fields.

Comment

• donny
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Oct 2002

yes, the idea is, for instance to have in the music folder a folder for each artist, and in their folder a folder for each album and there to have song with file names ##-title, where ## is track number. You see now? this is more- or less how my folders are.

Of course there could be other arrangements. Someone asked to have the music first separated by file format, some include genre as one of the ideas, maybe the year the album was issued etc...

it can be very usefull when the files are tagged right.

Comment

Working...

]]>