title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m3u playlist format?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Permutt

• Jan 2006

m3u playlist format?

I am trying to write m3u playlists that will be interpretable by dAP. So far, no matter what I put for the file name, dAP turns it into something else, and therefore fails to find the file. For example,

c:\Converted Music\something\this.flac becomes

C:\ c:\Converted ...

What exactly does it want?
  • Tom Permutt

• Jan 2006

Re: m3u playlist format?

Probably answered my own question. It seems to want

1. \ separating directories in the path, not /

This is arguably a bug because some parts of the program clearly understand where the file is. For example, the tags will be correctly added to My Collection with / . The files just won't play.

2. No spaces at the beginning of the line. This seems a bit harsh, but I guess there is no official definition of m3u, so you're free to misinterpret leading space as suggesting a relative path (?), though I can't see why you would want to.

Anyway, I really just wanted to know what would work, and now I do know something that will.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Are you using the latest dAP release 3 beta or release 2? It is highly recommended to use the dAP release 3 beta. The link is either in the Beta section of this forum or in my signature below.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Is there a problem with using the GUI and creating .m3u playlists through dAP's Playlist Editor as opposed to scripting the m3u files? You can access the Playlist Editor as simply as selecting the files for your Playlist, right-clicking and selecting the Add to Playlist option (the one with the P-for Playlist Editor-icon, you may have a further similar Add to Playlist option which is for WMP).

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Tom Permutt

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by xoas
          Is there a problem with using the GUI and creating .m3u playlists through dAP's Playlist Editor as opposed to scripting the m3u files? You can access the Playlist Editor as simply as selecting the files for your Playlist, right-clicking and selecting the Add to Playlist option (the one with the P-for Playlist Editor-icon, you may have a further similar Add to Playlist option which is for WMP).

Best wishes,
          Bill
          Thanks, Bill. Here's the thing. I wrote a program to make random playlists from my library. I listen to both classical and popular music. Many classical music listeners consider a listenable unit to be more than a single track, but perhaps less than a whole album: a symphony, for example, is likely recorded as four tracks or so. So, I want random lists where the units are single pop songs or groups of classical tracks.

Anyway, I have a program that makes such lists. I wrote it primarily for my SqueezeBox, but it turned out also to work for my portable player, so naturally I tried it on dAP as well. Didn't work until I figured out what dAP considers m3u to be. Now it's fine.

Thanks, Data, too. Maybe I'll try the beta, but I seem to have solved my problem, anyway.

Comment

Working...

]]>