title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

.wav converted to mp3 still burns like .wave

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMTaipei
    • Aug 2005

.wav converted to mp3 still burns like .wave

I have converted lectures from a .wav format to .mp3 format using
    dBpoweramp. The .mp3 format file size is much smaller than the .wav format size. How come when I go to burn the .mp3 format file to a CD, it still
    takes up the same number of minutes on the cd? This happens with
    Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and with dBpoweramp CD Writer. Any thoughts on this matter are greatly welcomed!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: .wav converted to mp3 still burns like .wave

If you are burning your mp3 tracks to cd format, they will be reconverted to .cda format as they are burned. ,cda format is essentially .wave format with some additional information as to the indexing and sequencing of tracks on the cd. In this case you are uncompressing your mp3 files and on the cd they wil take up pretty much the same space as the .wav files would. If this is what you are doing the total amount of time you will be getting from a cd will be about 80 minutes (for a 700 MB cd disc).

If you create an mp3 cd (essentially using the cd disc as a data disc for mp3 files) you will be able to place a lot more lectures on a single disc. The playing time will be the same as that of the original .wav files (because the audio is reconverted and uncompressed on playback).

It may be that you are trying to create an mp3 cd when you are actually creating a traditional cd. This is decided as one of the first steps in setting up your cd to burn. In dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW) you do this by going to the menu on the top of the dCW screen and selecting MP3 Audio CD 700 MB (this menu is just to the left of the delete track button and probably is currently set to Standard Audio CD.

In my current version of Easy CD Creator (V. 6) an mp3 cd is set up as an MP# Player Disc in the Projects menu. But I believe that earlier versions might describe an mp3 cd as a type of data disc. You Roxio help files should get you headed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

Taipei? Are you Taiwanese? Maybe I can talk to you via voice chat if you need help that way.

For now, though, since I'm typing, I'll give my say: You have an outdated version of Roxio. SECOND: Roxio sucks. Get Nero. Roxio gives me so many CD errors when I try to burn something. THIRD: Burn it as an "mp3" cd, not an Audio CD.

Comment

• AMTaipei
        • Aug 2005

Thanks, Bill, for the background. You were right - I was making a traditional cd and not a mp3 cd. Thanks for the correction.
        Ann-Marie

Comment

Working...

]]>