title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC -> MP3 loses tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinder90
    • Aug 2005

FLAC -> MP3 loses tags

I have seen the other threads regarding this issue but I still have yet to see a definative answer. I have FLAC files which are fully vorbis tagged. The tags were created with "Tag&Rename" which explicitly specifies their FLAC tag editor writes vorbis comments for FLAC files. In Explorer, the info pop-up shows the tag info and confirms the tag is a vorbis comment.

When I convert the files using dMC, the tags are lost. I have "preserve tags" checked but it doesn't seem to matter. What is also very wierd is that occasionally for some songs the tags ARE preserved, however, 99% of the songs have their tags lost.

Please don't suggest the "tag from filename" as I do not want to use that workaround.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: FLAC -> MP3 loses tags

What tags is dMC set to write to your mp3 files? Go to dMC Configuration and check. Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>In Explorer, the info pop-up shows the tag info and confirms the tag is a vorbis comment.

Does it say dBpowerAMP at the bottom? if so then dbpoweramp is reading the tags and it should be able to read/write tags to mp3.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinder90
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by LtData
        What tags is dMC set to write to your mp3 files? Go to dMC Configuration and check. Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration
        It is set like this:

Comment

• hinder90
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
          >In Explorer, the info pop-up shows the tag info and confirms the tag is a vorbis comment.

Does it say dBpowerAMP at the bottom? if so then dbpoweramp is reading the tags and it should be able to read/write tags to mp3.
          Yes, it does:

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

What happens if converting from mp3 to mp3, are the tags preserved? (your images do not show), what happens if you right click on a FLAC file and >> Edit Tag?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinder90
              • Aug 2005

If I right click on a FLAC file and "edit tag" I get the tag editor prepopulated with the tag info that shows up when I do a mouseover on the same file.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens if converting from mp3 to mp3, are the tags preserved?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinder90
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens if converting from mp3 to mp3, are the tags preserved?
                  Tags are not preserved for mp3 source files as they aren't from any other source format.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Try the latest FLAC codec here that should fix this bug: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=9035
                    Make sure you uninstall your current FLAC codec.

Comment

• hinder90
                      • Aug 2005

Try the latest FLAC codec here that should fix this bug: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=9035
                      Make sure you uninstall your current FLAC codec.
                      Tried that, but not change.

Note that ID3 tags are not being preserved when I convert from other formats like MP3 and SHN, not just FLAC
                      Last edited by hinder90; October 24, 2005, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Your saying your dMC does not save tags no matter what?
                        What version of dMC are you using? (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration). The latest version is dMC r11.5.
                        What OS are you using?

Comment

• hinder90
                          • Aug 2005

Your saying your dMC does not save tags no matter what?
                          What version of dMC are you using? (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration). The latest version is dMC r11.5.
                          What OS are you using?
                          My installation of dMC does not preserve tags when converting, ever. I originally saw the problem with r11, but recently upgraded to r11.5 which had no effect on the problem. This is on WinXPsp2.

Perhaps I should uninstall, clear all residue from the registry, and install fresh? If so, will there be any registry residue after uninstalling that I will manually have to remove?

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

See here for total uninstall procedure: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828

Comment

• hinder90
                              • Aug 2005

See here for total uninstall procedure: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828
                              OKAY! I have scrubbed my machine free of the previous install and started over and so far with 11.5 and just the FLAC decoder I am able to preserve tags for both FLAC and MP3 decode/encode.

However, since I did this, it seems like performance of both codecs are much much slower, ever at "above normal" prioritization like I had before. Are there any other settings which might affect performance?

Comment

Working...

]]>