title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

no sound on .mp3 conversions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marky
    • Apr 2005

no sound on .mp3 conversions

whenever I convert any type of file to .mp3 (be it .wav, .ogg, or .wav) the .mp3 will give no sound when played in a media player. It still is the right size in MBs, and XP recognizes the length of the file, but Winamp will not play it, it acts like there is nothing there! Help!

Thanks!
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: no sound on .mp3 conversions

Originally posted by Marky
    whenever I convert any type of file to .mp3 (be it .wav, .ogg, or .wav) the .mp3 will give no sound when played in a media player. It still is the right size in MBs, and XP recognizes the length of the file, but Winamp will not play it, it acts like there is nothing there! Help!

Thanks!
    Check the Volume Controls you have. You must have muted the playback of wav from your soundcard.

Right click on teh Volume icon in the task bar (bottom right side), select Open Volume Controls.

Cick Options and make sure Advanced is selected. Then Properties > Playback and make sure all the possible volume controls for playback are in fact selected, also that the proper mixinf device corrsponding to yoru sound card is selected at the top.

Once you click OK, you see a display of all the different types of audio controls. You have a bunch of different sources of audio, leftmost should be Master Volume. Make sure the slider is up and it's not muted. In fact make sure none of the selections are muted and their sliders are up, except for microphone which should be muted.

Comment

• Marky
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      Check the Volume Controls you have. You must have muted the playback of wav from your soundcard.

Right click on teh Volume icon in the task bar (bottom right side), select Open Volume Controls.

Cick Options and make sure Advanced is selected. Then Properties > Playback and make sure all the possible volume controls for playback are in fact selected, also that the proper mixinf device corrsponding to yoru sound card is selected at the top.

Once you click OK, you see a display of all the different types of audio controls. You have a bunch of different sources of audio, leftmost should be Master Volume. Make sure the slider is up and it's not muted. In fact make sure none of the selections are muted and their sliders are up, except for microphone which should be muted.
      uh-oh, nope. I don't think thats it.
      I took a few screenshots of what everything looks like, including winamp, where it recognizes the file as an .mp3 but does not correctly load it into its playlist.

Hope you can help! Thanks again!

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Have you tried to play the mp3 file in another player? Also, is your trial expired for the PowerPack?

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

LtData, if his/her trial ran out on his copy of PowerPack, wouldn't there be a message that tells him/her that the trial is over?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Yes, just trying to cover all bases here.

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

oh ok.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Marky, look at the volume slider in Winamp. It seems to be very far to the left.

Have you tried to play the mp3 files in Windows Media Player instead?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Also, what does Winamp report the file info to be? Just right-click on the file and go to "view file info" in the playlist editor.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

and is "mute" selected in winamp?

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

There isn't a slash through the volume icon, so no, Winamp does not have mute on.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

o right......

tried the other players?

Comment

• Marky
                          • Apr 2005

Yes. The .mp3 plays in no other players. It is recognized as an .mp3 but the player cannot play it, it gives no time reading, etc. The version I have is a cracked version because my first version that I bought was trashed when I had to format awhile back. This is super weird what is going on. Should I just try to find another cracked version online and start over? I am NOT buying it again, I am a student and I cannot drop money like that.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

Wait, you have purchased the PowerPack? If you have your order number, you can get a new registered download. If you don't have your order number, you can e-mail Spoon with as much information as you can remember and he will send you a new registered download. Info here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/announce...nouncementid=8

Comment

• Marky
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                              Wait, you have purchased the PowerPack? If you have your order number, you can get a new registered download. If you don't have your order number, you can e-mail Spoon with as much information as you can remember and he will send you a new registered download. Info here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/announce...nouncementid=8
                              hmm. I don't think I have my info anymore, it was a few years ago....

Comment

Working...

]]>