title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dbpowerAMP doesnt support unicode

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmchii
    • Mar 2005

dbpowerAMP doesnt support unicode

for the folders that in chinese character, dbpowerAMP gives me error, cant find the files, i hope dbpowerAMP will support unicode soon, thanks.
  • kimmchii
    • Mar 2005

Re: dbpowerAMP doesnt support unicode

Spoon said in another thread:

dMC R12 should be fully unicode compatible.
    i am looking forward to R12, thank you very much. dMC is da best.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

forgive me for my tech noobness, but Google didn't answer this question: What is unicode? Is it another type of computer language?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Basically, right now, dbPowerAmp only support ASCII characters. This character set is only Roman characters. Unicode has characters for all languages. Its basically a way of encoding characters. ASCII is 8-bit, Unicode is 16-bit.

Looks like its explained more here: http://www.qc.edu/~nixon/links/asciiUnicode.html

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

So the unicode support isn't available yet for file names, however it does support unicode in id tags for mp3 files, doesn't it?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

I know the codecs support reading filenames, but from reading a post from Spoon, it cannot write Unicode tags.

Comment

• kimmchii
              • Mar 2005

ChristinaS, yes, now it doesnt support unicode file/folder names, and also no unicode display in the "popup info tips in explorer" and also in right click on a file>edit tag.

however unicode works in "preserve ID tags".

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>and also no unicode display in the "popup info tips in explorer"

That one should have unicode - it is sent to Windows as Unicode. It works on mine with traditional chinese bu you have to install the extra fonts into windows.

Unicode is difficult - Windows 95/98/ME do not support unicode, NT / 2000 / XP do. Microsoft were smart (no really dumb) to make a program either / or, that is if you want a unicode program you can have one (it needs to be seperate), but it will not work on those older windows. A) I don't want 2 versions of the same program, so have been working behind the scenes to add unicode to a non-unicode program - everything is in place (I can write to unicode filenames) there is still one hurdle that is how to get the unicode text out of the Windows text boxes - for a non unicode program windows returns ??? but I think I have a work around with rich edit boxes. It is pretty hard work, if Microsoft were smart they would have had a utf-8 option and that would have just worked out of the box with everything, but they didn't...and they will do it again with 64 bit Windows, great if you like chucking all your existing software in the bin.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

I want to thank all of the staff for explaining to a helpless high school student what Unicode is. ^_^

Spoon, is there a way to get by the problem of the older versions of Windows not being able to support Unicode? If the newer versions do, maybe there should be a "emulated" mode or something? or is this still not possible?

Comment

• kimmchii
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                    >and also no unicode display in the "popup info tips in explorer"

That one should have unicode - it is sent to Windows as Unicode. It works on mine with traditional chinese bu you have to install the extra fonts into windows.
                    yes, it works now, i didnt install any font. you mentioned that specific font so i download a font explorer program to view all the fonts installed on my comp, and oddly, it just works after that. thanks anyway.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Odd,

There is no way of emulating unicode on older windows - the file system and display cannot handle unicode. Internally dMC can handle unicode on tagging even in Windows 95.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

Speaking of operating systems, why can't people just all upgrade to WinXP? Even if you're not a hardcore video gamer like me (haha, guess why I can never finish my biology homework! ) , it's wise to upgrade to stay up to date with the world. Win98 was a piece of crap, along with WinME, which I thought personally was the WORST Windows build Microsoft ever made in history...95 is just slow, even on a computer with good specs, and 3.1.....don't even go there.

Besides, WinXP is cheap if you know where to get it. And some ppl even get it for free by swapping a copy at their workplace. (Is that legal? I'm not sure, but my brother did that)

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I'd like to go back to win 3.1 - but can't :smile2:

I like keeping a copy of each OS installed and working because I sometimes need to test in different envirnments- and also I'm a pack rat :D
                          I recently lost my laptop's Win 98 SE installation in a HD crash. never coudl reinstall, only could install XP.

/* start of rant
                          XP comes with its own problems, especially under SP2. Oh, MS doesn't call them problems, but features. The fact remains that lots of people have incredible hardship surfing the net properly under XP & SP2 because of the extra hidden security features which are poorly explained and often (almost) inaccessible for individual mnanagement.

If you are an average user, you don't know all the tricks involved. You rely on the default installation. Well, with that, tons of web sites are totally off limits and you won't even know why. Many programs may no longer run and you'd be pulling your hair trying to find out what's going on. That's the problem with XP & sp2.
                          end of rant */

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

blah. I still think XP is better than any other Windows build so far.

Comment

• kimmchii
                              • Mar 2005

Odd,

There is no way of emulating unicode on older windows

Speaking of operating systems, why can't people just all upgrade to WinXP?
                              i am using XP SP2. i agree XP is the best OS from MS.

/* start of rant
                              That's the problem with XP & sp2.
                              end of rant */
                              i agree, that is so true, till now i still have no idea how to get rid of that bar that always pop up saying "to help protect your security....." it is not only protecting my security, it blardy hinders my browsing.

Comment

Working...

]]>