title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

27kb wav will not convert properly

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Re: 27kb wav will not convert properly

Originally posted by adaywayne
    As I said, Christina, I didn't have a copy of the actual 27KB file in question, so I recorded a 27KB, 8-bit, 22050, mono file myself and then used DMC to convert it to 16-bit, 44100, stereo in one step with no problem. That suggests perhaps there was something non-standard about the "problem" file.
    Arnie
    Oh, I see.

Let me see if I can upload this particular file here.

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Yes it converted fine for me in one step to 16-bit, 44100 Hz, stereo. Both the original and converted files play perfectly In DAP. BTW, how do you upload files to a forim post?
      Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Small correction, the converted file a little clipped....more like "byond" than "beyOnd. Another point.....I can't undersand why Frew would want to convert such a short file in the first place. The audio quality is only going to get worse rather than better.
        Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Small correction, the converted file a little clipped....more like "byond" than "beyOnd. Another point.....I can't undersand why Frew would want to convert such a short file in the first place. The audio quality is only going to get worse rather than better.
          Arnie
          The clipping only happend if you do the conversion in one step. In two steps, as I outlined before, it works.

Why Frew needs this file converted only he may answer :D

I suppose only a few forum members can upload files, like the VIP and Mod gang.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Perhaps some have Professional Freq Conversion on and others not.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
              Perhaps some have Professional Freq Conversion on and others not.
              Well, I have Profesional Frequency enabled and yet it didn't convert correctly in one step. In 2 steps it worked fine.

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

[QUOTE=ChristinaS]The clipping only happend if you do the conversion in one step. In two steps, as I outlined before, it works.

I didn't even look for this clipping by checking the converted file, since Frew's first post stated:

"I have a small wav file that will not convert from PCM,22,050 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono

to PCM,44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono using DMC"

From this, I simply assumed that the file would not convert!
                Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

[QUOTE=adaywayne]
                  Originally posted by ChristinaS
                  The clipping only happend if you do the conversion in one step. In two steps, as I outlined before, it works.

I didn't even look for this clipping by checking the converted file, since Frew's first post stated:

"I have a small wav file that will not convert from PCM,22,050 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono

to PCM,44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono using DMC"

From this, I simply assumed that the file would not convert!
                  Arnie
                  Oh, it converts alright in one step, except the audio is not the same at all. It is much sped up. All this because of going from 8-bits 22KHz to 44.1KHz in one shot. Going from 8-bits to 16-bits first, and then from 22KHz to 44.1KHz solves it. It doesn't matter in which step you go from mono to stereo.

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

.....I can't undersand why Frew would want to convert such a short file in the first place. The audio quality is only going to get worse rather than better.
                    I believe Frew has stated that he wants to do these conversions in order to standardize a large group of very short audio files to a standard bitrate and frequency so that they will be more compatible with each other and with standard audio programs.

As long as he keeps using wav or lossless codecs, he will end up with larger files but I don't see why he would end up with worse quality audio-assuming he can convert without losing some of the audio altogether or ending up with a messed up conversion.

Comment

• adaywayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by xoas
                      I believe Frew has stated that he wants to do these conversions in order to standardize a large group of very short audio files to a standard bitrate and frequency so that they will be more compatible with each other and with standard audio programs.

As long as he keeps using wav or lossless codecs, he will end up with larger files but I don't see why he would end up with worse quality audio-assuming he can convert without losing some of the audio altogether or ending up with a messed up conversion.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      You are correct. I should have said he would not end up with better audio quality.
                      Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
                        dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

I should have added that, for example, a 3-minute audio file converts back and forth with no problem,. So the question is, what is the minimum file size for proper conversion?

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Don't know. It appears to vary by codec and (perhaps) other variables as well.
                          Spoon has some of the earlier sample files and has said he will be taking a look at this.

Best wishes,
                          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• adaywayne
                            dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

I've just gone as small as 36KB (just under 2 seconds) in an 8-bit, 22050, mono music file and converted in one step to 16-bit, 44100, stereo and it sounds the same as the original....no clipping or speed-up. Unfortuanately, I can't upload the files for you to confirm.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

I've just gone as small as 36KB (just under 2 seconds) in an 8-bit, 22050, mono music file and converted in one step to 16-bit, 44100, stereo and it sounds the same as the original....no clipping or speed-up. Unfortuanately, I can't upload the files for you to confirm.
                              Well, it's possible the problem occurs with even shorter files, one second or less.

You'll practically have to view the wave pattern to see what's different.

So the option to Manage attachments is not available to you? Hmmmm..

Comment

• adaywayne
                                dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                                Well, it's possible the problem occurs with even shorter files, one second or less.

You'll practically have to view the wave pattern to see what's different.

You are right. Frew's file was 27KB and 1.27 seconds which is spot on by calculation. I will try going down further (below 36KB) to see what happens. I still think there is a slight possibility that there was something corrupt about Frew's file. And yes, I have been both listening and zooming in on the waveforms as I ran my tests. Will keep you posted.

So the option to Manage attachments is not available to you? Hmmmm..
                                I don't see that option anywhere, but that doesn't mean it's not there. LOL!

Comment

Working...

]]>