title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

27kb wav will not convert properly

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frew
    • Oct 2004

27kb wav will not convert properly

Hello,

I have a small wav file that will not convert from

PCM,22,050 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono

to

PCM,44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono

using DMC

If anybody would like to try to convert this (Bill or Christina perhaps?) please let me know.

It might be the same old problem of the filesize being too small for DMC to properly deal with it.

I do wonder though, why is DMC not able to deal properly with smaller files, since they are so common...nothing really unusual about them. I don't want to buy DMC because of this recurring inability of DMC to propely handle these smaller files.

Thank you,

frew
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: 27kb wav will not convert properly

Originally posted by frew
    Hello,

I have a small wav file that will not convert from

PCM,22,050 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono

to

PCM,44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono

using DMC

If anybody would like to try to convert this (Bill or Christina perhaps?) please let me know.

It might be the same old problem of the filesize being too small for DMC to properly deal with it.

I do wonder though, why is DMC not able to deal properly with smaller files, since they are so common...nothing really unusual about them. I don't want to buy DMC because of this recurring inability of DMC to propely handle these smaller files.

Thank you,

frew
    Hi, you can send it to me if you like. You still have my email?

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

I just recorded a short wave file at 22100Hz, 8bit, mono and then sliced off the first 27KB. This 27KB file, in that format, is 1.27 seconds in length! Anyway, I tried converting it using DMC to 44100, 16 bit, stero and it converted just fine in less than 1 second. I realise that does not solve your problem but your short file SHOULD convert.
      Arnie

Comment

• frew
        • Oct 2004

Thank you for your replies.

Christina, I do not have your email. I think you got the files I sent before from Bill...because I had sent my other problem files to Bill.

I'd like to send you and adaywayne my current problem file to see what you can do with it?

Thank you,

frew

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Christina, I do not have your email. I think you got the files I sent before from Bill...because I had sent my other problem files to Bill.

I'd like to send you and adaywayne my current problem file to see what you can do with it?

Thank you,

frew

Ok, check your PM's.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Frew, I got the file converted in 2 steps. It doesn't work in one step alone, it results in a sped up file.

I emailed it to you.

The steps starting with file0.wav (8-bit, 22KHz,mono to 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-stereo):

1) 16-bit, freq-as-source (i.e.keep the same 22KHz), 2-stereo - result: file1.wav
            2) bits-as-source (i.e. 16-bit), 44.1KHz, channels-as-source (i.e. 2-stereo) - result: file2.wav.

Audio-wise, to me, the result sounds the same and it's satisfactory. I haven't checked the wave pattern yet, will do soon and post the findings.

Incidentally the trouble spot is in going from 22KHz to 44.1KHz when also starting from 8-bits, regardless of whether 16-bits, 2-stereo are or are not selected as well.

It looks as if 44.1KHz really has to be the last conversion, to be applied to a 16-bit file only. The stereo part doesn't matter, that just doubles the tracks.

Comment

• adaywayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2004

Thank you,

frew
              Frew, I didn't even know there was a private messages feature in this forum!! I'll check it out and let you know whether I get the same results as Lady Christina.
              Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

Thank you,

frew
                Frew, I checked, but there is no private message for me from you.
                Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Frew, I also used another program I have, Record Producer Deluxe, and was able to convert it in one step to 16-bit, 44.1KHz stereo.

This program however only works on one program at a time. And even if I say it's in one step, it's really a few actions I have to do while in the same program. In the end it's faster to do 2 conversions to wav using dMC than one using RP.

Comment

• frew
                    • Oct 2004

adaywayne, sorry I had to take off for a while before I got your message that you may have wanted the file...

Christina, yes thank you very much for your good work.
                    It does appear that using the first conversion to change only the bit from 8 to 16 is the key. Then in the second conversion go for changing the sampling rate from 22khz to 44 khz.

Nice, Now I'll be probably do my batch conversions where I change just the bit rate as the first step. Then for the second step I'll change the sampling rate. (I think that's what it's called...44,100hz is the sampling rate right?)

Thank you very much for your help,

frew

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

adaywayne, sorry I had to take off for a while before I got your message that you may have wanted the file...

Christina, yes thank you very much for your good work.
                      It does appear that using the first conversion to change only the bit from 8 to 16 is the key. Then in the second conversion go for changing the sampling rate from 22khz to 44 khz.

Nice, Now I'll be probably do my batch conversions where I change just the bit rate as the first step. Then for the second step I'll change the sampling rate. (I think that's what it's called...44,100hz is the sampling rate right?)

Thank you very much for your help,

frew
                      You're welcome.

Just make sure than when you set the frequency to 44.1KHz ( http://www.audiovideo101.com/diction...pling-rate.asp ), the bits are already at 16. Mono or stereo doesn't matter whether it's set in first or second step.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

I will note it as a bug.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• adaywayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                          I will note it as a bug.
                          But it worked perfectly in a single step for Me!
                          Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
                            But it worked perfectly in a single step for Me!
                            Arnie
                            Oh? It did? Did you listen to the before and after?

Comment

• adaywayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2004

As I said, Christina, I didn't have a copy of the actual 27KB file in question, so I recorded a 27KB, 8-bit, 22050, mono file myself and then used DMC to convert it to 16-bit, 44100, stereo in one step with no problem. That suggests perhaps there was something non-standard about the "problem" file.
                              Arnie

Comment

Working...

]]>