title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Explorer Erorr with getpopupinfo.exe

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Mr

Originally posted by Spoon
    Christina:

If dmc is going to crash, then likely it will be in 'getpopupinfo.exe', that will crash on its own and will not bring Windows down. That is why I seperated them as audio files are quite difficult.
    Oh, Windows is not crashing (not yet, at least), just Windows Explorer takes a dive every so often as I hover over a wav or mp3 or wma file name, so basically just before any pop-up shows up. I've gotten used to it LOL :p

I've determined that maybe what I'm doing is I click once to engage the display of the Explorer default player plug-in (or whatever it's called, the one showing up on the side after a single click on a media file name, the same way thumbnails would show up for pictures in teh same spot), then a short hover that requests the pop-up and then right away I double click to execute, but before the pop-up actually gets a chance to show up. Half the time this sequence would result in an Explorer crash.

The Event Viewer (in APllication Log) will always say just something like:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 24/08/2004
    Time: 10:04:13 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.
    (Just did this again a few minutes ago :D )

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by windinthew
      i am rather confused but I have disabled pop up window tips, and they only now appear with media files with described limited info. Could this disabling be preventing dB from displaying all the instructed info.?
      Oh, if you disable that in Windows Explorer > Tools >Folder Options > View > Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items then you'll get no pop-up info either from Explorer or from dMC when you hover over the media file name. You'll want to enable that again.

Comment

• windinthew
        • Aug 2004

Mr

Originally posted by ChristinaS
        Oh, if you disable that in Windows Explorer > Tools >Folder Options > View > Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items then you'll get no pop-up info either from Explorer or from dMC when you hover over the media file name. You'll want to enable that again.
        I actually use a replacement for windows explorer called xplorer2, It can produce hover tips but I turned them off too - yet something is producing those tips on media files (just filename and ext_)
        even with windows tips turned off in folder options.
        Turning on windows tips does not raise any more than basic file/ext info in xplorer2 = perhaps this aspect is not compatible with dbpoweramp?

How have you got a player in Windows Explorer left hand pane? This is not default Windows behaviour is it? I know you can get this with a custom folder.htt but these are not supported in XP SP1 which I have and was one reason I went to xplorer2!

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

I actually use a replacement for windows explorer called xplorer2, It can produce hover tips but I turned them off too - yet something is producing those tips on media files (just filename and ext_)
          even with windows tips turned off in folder options.
          Turning on windows tips does not raise any more than basic file/ext info in xplorer2 = perhaps this aspect is not compatible with dbpoweramp?

How have you got a player in Windows Explorer left hand pane? This is not default Windows behaviour is it? I know you can get this with a custom folder.htt but these are not supported in XP SP1 which I have and was one reason I went to xplorer2!
          I use Windows 2000 I did nothing special that I'm aware of. It must be the type of folder view I use. I don't know off the top of my head how that shows up in XP, I'll have to check it on another computer that runs that. I think it shows up at the top of the screen though, instead of the left panel.

Here's what I get from it, with dMC installed with the Windows Shell integration turned on to show pop-up info on hover.

Comment

• windinthew
            • Aug 2004

Mr

Fascinated by that screenshot... you can preview a media file in xp by right click and quick loading slimmed down version of Windoze Media Player. But I don't think you can get the player in the pane. Xplorer2 has a nice player in the preview pane that previews video as well.

I turned off the shell extension in dBpoweramp and still get the minimal media popups so xplorer2 is producing them. Looks as if I will have to do without this Dbpoweramp feature, There are too many other good things in xplorer2 and I can get the info in the column display after all. Anyway the windoze popups get in the way as they appear when selecting with the keyboard not just with hover. How about option for this info in the context menu?

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

I turned off the shell extension in dBpoweramp and still get the minimal media popups so xplorer2 is producing them. Looks as if I will have to do without this Dbpoweramp feature, There are too many other good things in xplorer2 and I can get the info in the column display after all. Anyway the windoze popups get in the way as they appear when selecting with the keyboard not just with hover. How about option for this info in the context menu?
              Now I'm confused: do you want to see pop-up info on media files from dMC or not? At least this is what I thought you wanted to achieve in your first post.

If you turned that off in you xplorer2 maybe you should first turn it on.

Then run dMC Configuration and enable Windows Shell Integration, as in the picture below.

Comment

• windinthew
                • Aug 2004

Mr

DMC popups clearly are not going to show in xplorer 2 , and turning windows explorer tips on/off does not affect xplorer2. That's why I posited another solution for users of explorer replacements.

Comment

Working...

]]>