title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Explorer Erorr with getpopupinfo.exe

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iconia
    • May 2004

Explorer Erorr with getpopupinfo.exe

Hi there,

I hope this isn't a repeat question but I've parused the site and done a search for a similar problem but didn't find an answer.

I have been using dBpowerAMP for a few months and I love the ease of use and most of all I love the getpopupinfo feature. However, for some reason it has stopped working and I get "Error Getpopupinfo.exe not found" when i hover my mouse over any of my mp3's. I don't think I have changed any settings that may have caused this so I'm at a loss for what to do.

Hope someone can help.

Iconia
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Explorer Erorr with getpopupinfo.exe

reinstall dBpowerAMP Music Converter.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Iconia
      • May 2004

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of but it didn't help. Just to be sure I tried again after reading your response and even with a reboot in between it still gives the error. When I right click and hit properties the db ID tag info is there just fine. Hope I don't have to live without it. :cry:

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Do a search for 'Getpopupinfo.exe', it should be in illustrate\dbpoweramp
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Iconia
          • May 2004

Yep, the file is there. I did notice that the icon associated with it is just the general windows type instead of anything special. (looks like this) Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

That is fine, it might be the type of files you are getting info on, try getting it on a wave file.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Iconia
              • May 2004

Oh man, just on a hunch I decided to close my firewall which has pop up blocking on. <ding!> That was it. Makes sense I guess but I didn't know it would block ALL popups on the computer regardless of whether in browser or not. If I can't get it to work with my firewall then it's time to get a new one!

Thanks for your help.

Iconia

Comment

• Unregistered

My only question is for god sake why does it need 1.5 gigs of memory to do it. I dont know about your computer but on mine it just about kills the damn thing when a single program uses 1.5 gigs of memory. It's even getting close to the win32 2 gig addressing limit. What will the next version require win64?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  My only question is for god sake why does it need 1.5 gigs of memory to do it. I dont know about your computer but on mine it just about kills the damn thing when a single program uses 1.5 gigs of memory. It's even getting close to the win32 2 gig addressing limit. What will the next version require win64?
                  What do you mean it takes 1.5GB of memory? That's impossible. I have 256MB of ram and it works fine. Mind you, a large conversion may take all or most available memory at times. But nowhere near that.

Comment

• strycer
                    • Apr 2004

I have the exact same problem. I wouldn't call it an Explorer error either, it has very little to do with explorer. To me there seems to be a bug in "getpopupinfo.exe" that is creating an infinite loop sucking up more and more memory, thus crippling the machine.

Spoon if you need anymore infornation that I can provide to help resolve this let know.

Tom

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

The audio file you are holding the mouse over, either is corrupt, or is not an audio file.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                        The audio file you are holding the mouse over, either is corrupt, or is not an audio file.
                        Well, I often experience Windows Explorer bombing out when I hover the mouse over a media file. The file is not corrupted. Next time I try it will work just fine, but maybe another file may cause the same thing. I have not found the culprit. I used to have this before I had Powerpack so that is not the problem. But I have had dMC with Windows Shell Integration forever, so maybe there's something there.

Nothing major happens when Explorer bombs out, except for some cookies getting cleared as well, and the dektop getting refreshed (or so it looks). And a couple ofr the icons in the task abr disappear, but their respective programs are still running. Darn if I know what the connection may be.

The trouble is that I also had a major HD crash last year, which started with this very behaviour, so I'm at a loss. Occasionally I get a Windows incident reporting bad blocks on the disk. Further checking reveals no such thing actually. Oh, well...

Comment

• windinthew
                          • Aug 2004

Mr

I get the popups OK but only gives file name and extension. I tried the registry edit in the help to customise the info

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP create a String Value called dBPopup, the default value is: File :[tab][tab][justfileName][ret]Location :[tab][path][ret]Type :[tab][tab][description][ret]Extension : [tab][ext][ret]Length (m:ss) :[tab][length][ret]Size :[tab][tab][size][ret]Original Size :[tab][origsize][ret]Compression Ratio :[tab][ratio][ret][ret][audioinfo][taginfo][ret]______________________[ret] dBpowerAMP

In other words the new string is inside dBpoweramp not inside one of its subkeys. Have I got this correct as it does not alter anything? I can link to a screenshot of the registry screen if that helps?

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Re: Mr

If you just get filename + ext, then Windows is not using dBpoweramp, try re-running dmc configuration.

Christina:

If dmc is going to crash, then likely it will be in 'getpopupinfo.exe', that will crash on its own and will not bring Windows down. That is why I seperated them as audio files are quite difficult.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• windinthew
                              • Aug 2004

Mr

i am rather confused but I have disabled pop up window tips, and they only now appear with media files with described limited info. Could this disabling be preventing dB from displaying all the instructed info.?

Comment

Working...

]]>