title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dMC12.2 can't read FLAC tags, dMC11.5 works better

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtwombat
    • Dec 2007

Re: dMC12.2 can't read FLAC tags, dMC11.5 works better

The MP3 does not have tags. The yellow dbpoweramp popup looks like the image at the start of this thread.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

If you convert your FLAC file to another format, such as WMA or something that supports all tags, do the tags stay or no?

Comment

• dtwombat
        • Dec 2007

I just installed the latest WMA codec and converted a FLAC file to WMA using both 9.2 and 10, and dmc does not convert the ARTIST, ALBUM, TITLE etc tags that are in the FLAC file when converting to WMA.

(The conversion process does write the Audio Quality, Encoder and Encoder Settings tags in the MP3/WMA file - it just doesn't seem to be reading the Vorbis comments from the FLAC file).

However, the conversion works with other FLAC files I have. I suspect the problem is with the tags in the FLAC file. I suspect that db is reading something in the original FLAC tags that it can't handle.

The original FLAC file has tags in upper case - eg. ARTIST, TITLE, ALBUM, etc. If I Edit the Tag with db (Right Click --> Edit Tag) and change the value of the original upper-case tage (eg. from "Foo Fighters" to "The Foo Fighters") the tag still does not convert.

If I Edit the FLAC file and add a new tag and pick "Artist" (note the mixed case) from the drop-down list, then the original upper-case tag "ARTIST" no longer displays when I mouse over the file - but the tag "Artist" does not convert.

If I edit the FLAC file and delete the tag "ARTIST" and create a new tag "Artist" then the tag still does not convert.

The FLAC file has tags for GRACENOTETEXTDATA and GRACNOTEFILEID that contain long strings - so I tried deleting both these tags and converting but that didn't fix the problem.

I think you'll need to do some testing with one of the FLAC files I have.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Please send a smaller (below 20 MB) flac file to:

Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Ok, when converting the flac file at the end it says:

Error converting to Test Conversion, 'Z:\Foo Fighters - Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners.flac' to 'Z:\Foo Fighters - Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners.IGNORE'
            md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.

This corruption is aborting the conversion process. If you are not botherd that your FLAC file is corrupted, dbpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced and you can set FLAC to ignore the errors.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dtwombat
              • Dec 2007

OK. Thanks! I can see that the source FLAC file has a MD5_MISMATCH error (reported by AudioTester v1.5).

However - the FLAC file still plays fine in WinAmp (even with the error) and db still converts the file to mp3 and the converted mp3 file does not have any errors and it too plays fine.

So - is it possible to change db so that it writes the tags even if it finds and error in the source file? db is already writing the file anyway (and fixing or skipping over the error) - why not write the tags as well?

(BTW Sorry this is slightly off topic, but I scanned my entire library and found hundreds of FLAC files with errors. Sometimes entire albums - but sometimes just some songs on the album. I've no idea what caused the errors - I ripped all my music with EAC and FLAC. I guess I'll have to go look for a way to fix these errors or re-rip the broken files.)

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Go into dBpoweramp Configuration, to the Codecs tab, then Advanced Options, scroll down to the decoder section, and change the option for FLAC from "Stop Deocdong on Error" to "Continue Deocding (show error on information)".

Comment

• dtwombat
                  • Dec 2007

I already have the "Corrupt FLAC File" setting on "Continue Decoding (show error as information)" and db doesn't write the tags.

Also - I don't see an error dialog box or a log file or anything showing that the FLAC file was corrupt.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

I will mark as a bug to look at.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliAbbe
                      • May 2005

I am having the exact same problem as dtwombat. I have a few more data points for you in this message

I am trying to convert my entire library from FLAC to ALAC. All of my tracks were originally ripped from CDs using dMC - I think version 11.5. They were originally ripped as FLAC, Compression Level 0. Later, I converted most of them to FLAC, CL8

I recently got a new computer and installed dMC 12.3. I started converting everything to ALAC. All of the files that were in FLAC, CL0 converted just fine.

For the ones that were in FLAC, CL8,About 1 in 10 failed with a failure notice, like:
                      Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\eanet\SONOS\Converting\Cannonball Adderley\Cannonball's Bossa Nova\02 Minha Saudades.flac' to 'E:\eanet\SONOS\Converting\Cannonball Adderley\Cannonball's Bossa Nova\02 Minha Saudades.m4a'
                      md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.

The entire audio file appears to be there and plays flawlessly. However the only tag that made it across is the "Title" tag, and it is wrong. It shows in the output file as being the fullpath file name of the output file

I don't believe that all of these files actually suffered from corruption. I have an older computer that still has dMC 11.5 on it. I copied one failing FLAC file to it and ran the conversion and it works fine! No error report, all tags are present in the output. I guess I know what my workkaround is!

Let me know if you would likes a copy of a failing file.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

I should be Ok, thanks.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>