title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using [IFMULTI] for file naming

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jn99
    • Aug 2007

Using [IFMULTI] for file naming

I am using the following as my naming convention:

[artist]\[album]\[track] - [title]

I modified this to support multiple discs as follows:

[artist]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc]\[][track] - [title]

This works fine but I do have a couple questions.

1) Is there any way to get all tracks into a single folder for multiple discs that will not adversely affect playback performance, i.e. a player could treat it as one disc and play through all tracks across discs in the correct order?

2) In the above scenario I use, I believe multiple folders are treated as multiple albums by most if not all players. In that case, do I need to have the album art stored in each (Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.) folder, or can it be in the main [album] folder?

I'm trying to understand the best approach for treating multiple disc releases as a single album. I'm not sure this is really possible without manually retagging all the track numbers beyond the first disc, i.e. disc 1 is tracks 1-10, disc 2 gets retagged from 11 - x and so on, which I don't want to do.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Using [IFMULTI] for file naming

You could put all the tracks into one folder, but then as you mentioned, you only get one album art by default as dMC names all album art "folder.jpg". Now, the album art should be the same for multi-disc albums. You could do something like [artist]\album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title].

Comment

• jn99
      • Aug 2007

If I did this, using [disc] to preface the track title, will most software/players behave correctly and play the tracks in order, i.e. all tracks from Disc 1 before subsequent discs?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I would think so, as long as you don't have the player in random/shuffle mode, since the files would be "Disc 1 - 01 - <title>" and so on until "Disc 2 - 01 - <title>".

Comment

• jn99
          • Aug 2007

One more question, I'll ask it here in hopes it will be answered and I don't have to start another thread. In CDRipper, is there a way to set which tags are used? In other words, say I only want a few basic tags, if I remove the others I don;t want is that setting permanent or do I have to remove the unwanted tags each time I rip a new CD? Is there a way to make the tags that are included stay the same from CD to CD?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

If you uncheck the tags you do not what, that setting should be the same from then on. The option is in the Options menu and then click the [Options] button beside "ID Tags" to adjust what tags you do and do not want.

Comment

• jn99
              • Aug 2007

This isn't what's happening for me. I edit the tags I want and rip. Then I insert a new disc and the tags I have removed reappear for that disc so I have to remove them again.

However, I am not accessing this under the options menu because there isn't anything there for tags. I can only edit this in the MetaData tab in the lower right side of the window just by the album art. If I click the options, all that I have is "Encoder Priority", "After Ripping" and "View Current Error and Information Logs". Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

No, not the arrow beside the options button, the button itself.

And yes, editing the tags where you are currently are just temporary settings for that rip.

Comment

• jn99
                  • Aug 2007

Ah - got it thanks. All it takes is a good whack upside the head sometimes! :o

Comment

Working...

]]>