title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

use composer tag in file naming??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markeh
    • Apr 2007

use composer tag in file naming??

I would like to use the composer tag in file naming. It seems to be ignored.

My use is for classical music, where composer will set the directory name.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: use composer tag in file naming??

Using [composer] ?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• markeh
      • Apr 2007

I tried this, and the file name included the string "[composer]" Probably not what was intended ;-)

I will try again to make sure there wasn't a cockpit error. I think I used IFVALUE, with the composer name if yes, and nothing if not.

Comment

• JMinSF
        • Mar 2007

Here is what I use for dynamic naming for the same purpose:
        [IFCOMP]Multiple_Composers[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]composer,[tag]composer[],Unknown_Composer[][]\[album]\[disc]-[track]

I just use cd-track for the filename since I never mix different CDs in the same directory (unless they are part of the same multi-CD set).

The syntax is a bit onscure, but provides a very flexible way to describe the naming convention. I think what you were missing is the "[tag]composer[]" construct, there is no simplified "[composer]" construct.

Comment

• markeh
          • Apr 2007

Thanks - I get it now.

Do you find that the CD lookup databases are pretty weak for classical. I think track names usually leave out details, the album name is different on first and second disc in a set, track names are done inconsistently on the cds in a multi set, etc....

Comment

• JMinSF
            • Mar 2007

When AMG has the information, the track descriptions are usually of very good quality and have a very systematic style. Album art is usually OK (although there are some mistakes and >50% gaps for older CDs). The remainder of the information is a very variable quality - no conductor, random selection of artists, and so on. There are occasional inconsistencies (e.g. CD 1 of a set has good tags, CD 2 is garbage...), so you need to be on the lookout.

AMG does not have 100% coverage on classical (but some of my CDs are pretty ancient and/or obscure). When they miss and DBA uses freeDB, the results are usually pretty bad - one might as well retype everything from scratch.

I admit to being a bit of a maniac on tagging precision and style, so I always redo the detailed tagging, but the AMG track details save a lot of typing (with the help of some Excel spreadsheets).

Although AMG is not perfect, I think it is definitely worth the $ for the yearly subscription.

Comment

Working...

]]>