title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

disable multi-cpu in reference?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rei
    • Mar 2007

disable multi-cpu in reference?

i just bought reference and it randomly crashes on my x2 4200 at the end of converting mp3 into m4a, on ntdll.dll.

running the trial of non-reference and running more than 1 instance never crashed things at the end of conversion.

is there any way to disable the multi-threading/cpu support? i'd still like to use reference for the dynamic folder naming.
  • rei
    • Mar 2007

Re: Deactivate Multi-CPU usage in Reference

to clarify, it crashes after the conversion has been finished successfully, with ntddll.dll.

using non and sse2 version of nero digital m4a aac encoder.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: disable multi-cpu in reference?

Currently no, the next beta of r12.1 should have that option. Realistically I think it is just co-incidence it has not crashed when doing the single method (because each encoder is a seperate CoreConverter.exe, they do not interact with each other). Try using hte dsp effect to remove all id tags and see if you can get it to crash (the end suggests it is tagging which is crashing).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rei
        • Mar 2007

thanks for the reply.

for about 2 hours i ran like 40 instances of dmc-non-ref at up to 4-5 at a time without crashing at all. with i run dmc-ref, it crashes 10% of the time randomly. i'm not sure it's coincidence--but something at the end of tag writing is causing it :/ unfortunately files w/o tags won't do me much good.

i can live without the multithreading (instead running 2 separate instances like i did before) but rely on dynamic naming more and would love to get in on beta 12.1 as soon as that is available.

cheers.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Is it possible that setting the processor affinity of the core-converter to one CPU might be a short term workaround for this crash issue?

-brendan

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

What are the specs (channels, bitrate, frequency) of your mp3 files and what settings did you choose for your m4a files?

Can you successfully convert to another format, such as WMA?

Comment

• rei
              • Mar 2007

it's not the file channel/bitrate/frequency of the mp3 as they vary. i convert to he-aac .25 vbr m4a. spoon is right, it crashes during the absolute last tagging part.

Comment

• rei
                • Mar 2007

setting affinity won't work i don't think since the program still separates the encoding queue into 2 threads w/o me having any control over that.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Setting the affinity to one CPU before the conversion itself starts does still seem to be using both CPUs, but looking at the CPU usage in Task Manager shows that it is running both conversions on one CPU core.

Have you tried using the ID Tag Processing DSP to strip out all tags?

Comment

• rei
                    • Mar 2007

Why would I strip out the tags if I use them though? Setting affinity to 1 core would slow things down vs non-Reference since it's doing 2 things on 1 core instead of 1 thing on 1 core.
                    Last edited by rei; March 13, 2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Spoon and I asked you to strip out the ID tags to determine if the ID tags are the problem or if it is just something near the end of your files that is the problem.

Comment

• rei
                        • Mar 2007

Will do and report back.

Comment

• rei
                          • Mar 2007

If that's what's causing crashes, I'll live with the extra step in my workflow of loading the MP3s into MP3Tag and converting the ID3-less files based on their filenames.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

If you install the DSPs, you can run the "ID Tag Processing" DSP which will strip out tags while it converts, so you won't need any extra steps.

Comment

• rei
                              • Mar 2007

No, I did do that, as part of stripping the ID tags out so it doesn't crash. However, I do want the tags in afterwards so I put them back in after the conversion using MP3Tag. That's what I meant by the extra step in the workflow.

Comment

Working...

]]>