title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

virus! on registration file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daniel
    • Mar 2006

Re: virus! on registration file

I did a test on diff. suites.. Panda-norton-mcafee

Panda-slow start-up and shut sown.. Scans both times.. Fast internet..

Norton- Fast start-up and slow-down, lags your bandwidth.. Slow internet..

Mcafee- fast start-up and shut-down..also doesnt lag your internet..

Mcafee i think is best out of the 3..

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

If you talking about "Norton Internet Security" I avoid this like the plague. The firewall is overzealous and frankly a PITA to deal with. You cannot shut it off, just "disable" it until either a timer runs out or until you reboot the computer. There is no way to totally exit it.

I haven't dealt with Panda ever and haven't dealt with McAfee in about 4 years.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Last time I dealt with McAffe it had spent 2 months deleting without a trace every single email that was getting into my OE inbox faster than I could see it coming in. After I accused Microsoft's Oultook Express of messing up my email, I found out it was actually McAffe that was incompatible with that latest release of OE. Instead of McAffe saying oops, sorry, here's a fixed version of McAffe, they said yeah, it's incompatible and you need to upgrade McAffe but you have to pay for it. It was good-bye McAffe immediately I asure you.

Panda's good to find the odd trojan or virus that may escape other resident programs.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

I'd stick with AVG and SpywareBlaster (SpywareBlaster SILENTLY blocks all those bad pages that you'd not want). They both consume little CPU and keep your computer alive and healthy without bugging you with "VIRUS DETECTED" popping up every 5 seconds.

Comment

• dbunder
            • Mar 2006

Gonna give a bunch of these a spin. I used to use AVG Free, but quite often it wouldn't detect virii. It was years ago, so perhaps it has improved.

Also, little addition on the spyware front: ewido. It catches spyware/tracking cookies that *nothing* else does. I run adaware, spybot as well, but ewido is the one that always catches the real nasty stuff that the others miss.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Tracking cookies are not spyware, nor are they nasty - they are just bits of text with no powers of their own :p

I'd be careful with using anyhting too aggressive, as you'd find you're blocked out of many sites for no apparent good reason but an overactive firewall or anti-spyware program that can't tell good from bad.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

well i used to use avg and sygate peronal firewall. but sygate was aquired by norton. so i upgraded to "Norton Internet Security" and dropped avg.

this is the 2006 version. you can easily disable both virus and firewall. so not sure why some people can't?

but like anything new when you try it there is a learning curve. a friend of mine just uses fprot and swears by it.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

>sygate peronal firewall

I had sygate on a laptop and if you watch the hard disk they are reading the same files over and over every 5-10 seconds (not even using Windows cache), this I disliked alot (there are tools on sysinternals that can tell what files a program is looking at).
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

It seems to behave for me on my computers. Sometimes it does max the CPU when I'm transferring something via the Internet and is annoying, but is the best firewall I've managed to find that isn't annoying in various ways.

I have noticed that it looks like the 2006 version of the Norton Firewall is an improvement over previous versions, but I have still seen too many problems it causes to use it personally.

Also, having to basically rebuy the firewall every year isn't really the best way to get on my good side. Do they even sell the firewall separately or only in "Norton Internet Security"?

Comment

• Wayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Aug 2002

Both Norton Firewall and Norton Antivirus can be bought separately.

I'm currently using AVG and Kerio Personal Firewall.

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>