title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

virus! on registration file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mosedavid
    • Mar 2006

virus! on registration file

After paying up good money to register this thing I've now bieng infected with 'Kelvir-W' virus which was got from the file i was given from the email link.

My antivirus program also found the same virus in the MP4 file on the main site.

WTF? Is this for real?

The antivirus program is Avast and is totally up to date, have been using it for 2 years and has never let me down yet.
  • dbunder
    • Mar 2006

Re: virus! on registration file

Noticed the same thing on the m4a plugin, which I could *really* use right now. Also using Avast. Avast has popped up some false positives in the past, but I don't want to take a chance with this one. Anyone have any further info on this?

This is in reference to the first plugin on http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm. All the others are fine, but the first one on the page is required to preserve tags, apparently.

Comment

• dbunder
      • Mar 2006

I just did a virus scan with trend micro's online scanner and it said the file was fine. As far as the other online scanners go, I can't run them because Avast is telling me they're all virii. Heh. Starting to doubt this file has a virus - but still not taking a chance until this is cleared up by someone.

edit: both avg free edition and panda online scanners say the file is ok. there's also a post in the avast forums about various dbpoweramp files giving false positives.
      Last edited by dbunder; March 17, 2006, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• mosedavid
        • Mar 2006

ah! I thought it might be just me! I was a little p**sed off. I did have a quick look round the forum in the most likely spots but didn't find anything.

There isn't an email address for support which, in the case of a possible virus in the code is a lot rubbish.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

This is the first time I have heard of any virus infecting the software on this site. Maybe Avast is giving you false positives - I use AVG myself.

For email contact try this link http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Wayne

Comment

• Tomb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jun 2003

It's not the first time I have heard of Avast giving false positives - it's well known for doing so. The same has happened on the Audiograbber forums recently.

I too use AVG.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

That AVAST program is proving to be a big PITA in so many respects.

Just as some firewalls are, like Outpost or Norton Security Suite which cause no end of problems.

There is no virus in any dBpowerAMP products downloaded from here. Period.
              Last edited by ChristinaS; March 18, 2006, 12:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• mosedavid
                • Mar 2006

"There is no virus in andy dBpowerAMP products downloaded from here. Period."

Thats good to hear. I didn't think you'd be selling infected products on purpose, there are always ways to get into 'secure' systems though. I wanted to be sure.

Since I don't spend that much time infront of a screen I wasn't aware of the ins and outs of antivirus programs. I just use them.

I'll go back to using andy's poweramp.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Unless it shows an exact virus these virus checkers give a warning of a possible virus (the dbpoweramp installs put information after the .exe, various virus pick this up wrongly).

To recap - there is no virus in any current dbpoweramp codec, or install - they are all checked against 3 virus checkers (that do not suck ).
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbunder
                    • Mar 2006

What virus scanners do people recommend? I thought avast was real good and have been using it for a long time, but after several false positives yesterday, I'm rethinking my choice of scanners. I won't use McAfee or Norton (they're too intrusive), but what are other good ones?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

It's been mentioned already, but AVG.

Get Windows antivirus for PC & laptop: block viruses & protect against malware. Download AVG AntiVirus Free, now!

Try it, it's free and reliable. I use it all the time.

Speaking of protection (tell me if I'm going too off topic)

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com (SpywareBlaster)
                      http://www.safer-networking.de (Spybot S&D)

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Personally, I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition that I received via my college. I say its like Norton without the bloat.

Other than that, I'd go with AVG.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I use free AVG plus free Sygate Personal Firewall.

Also free Ad-Aware to get rid of obvious spyware.

I have used SpyBot before, though I didn't reinstall it after a system rebuild. I found it had some hidden agenda that clashed with my own

Once in a while I run Panda software just to asssure myself that all's OK.

I've not had reason to complain of anything. Perhaps AVG takes a bit too long to perform the full daily scan I insist on (on my pc, with 2 large HD's that are pretty full, it takes nearly 2 hours, and my pc's not too slow, plus I have 1GB ram as well). When it scans everything else is slowed down considerably. I let it run in the early morning hours (5am) when I'm not likely to be online.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

F-Secure
                            NOD

to name two not mentioned (I prefer f-secure fprot as it has low system usage requirements).
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mimiihu
                              • Feb 2006

NOD or AntiVir.
                              NOD actually detects trojans just by loading certain webpages.

Comment

Working...

]]>