title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Oggy, In 'dBpa', on some CDs the: 'Album Artist Sort' and 'Artist Sort' appear in shaded grey. On other CDs these do not appear at all. You did mention this week about how this can help with running a 'search' for an Artist/Album. But I am not sure whether or not they have been configured properly - as our comms got sidetracked in the midst. Thanks, Paul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Album_Artist.png
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	293462

Click image for larger version

Name:	Album_Artist_2.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	293463
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      I believe that Paul was using the ID Tag Processing, DSP, to automate, Capitalize First Letter.
      Yup.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
        Oggy, In 'dBpa', on some CDs the: 'Album Artist Sort' and 'Artist Sort' appear in shaded grey. On other CDs these do not appear at all. You did mention this week about how this can help with running a 'search' for an Artist/Album. But I am not sure whether or not they have been configured properly - as our comms got sidetracked in the midst. Thanks, Paul.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1500[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1501[/ATTACH]
        Many people find the "sort" tags very useful. I never used these. Long ago, I just adjusted my thinking to looking for things based on full name. So for Willie Nelson, I look under W. For Miles Davis I look under M. I file all my CDs in cabinets using the same approach (to match my digital files). None of this hurts my searching. In my players, I can simply type Miles Davis or Willie Nelson and it takes me to the right things.

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by garym
          Many people find the "sort" tags very useful. I never used these. Long ago, I just adjusted my thinking to looking for things based on full name. So for Willie Nelson, I look under W. For Miles Davis I look under M. I file all my CDs in cabinets using the same approach (to match my digital files). None of this hurts my searching. In my players, I can simply type Miles Davis or Willie Nelson and it takes me to the right things.
          And I use sort tags, because I do the opposite., Miles Davis, displayed as Miles Davis, filed under, D. This is how I've always displayed my LPs.

We have a choice!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Gary, So should I just leave it as it is? You are probably going to say it's all about "options!" I mean, if I did want to include them then do I just TICK the appropriate boxes in the "Meta Data ID Tag" window (as per screenshot 2 above)? And, assuming they will then automatically appear in the "Meta Data for all Tracks" window (as per screenshot 1 above), what data would you fill in, please? Just the Artists name for both fields?: "Davis, Miles". Thanks.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
              And I use sort tags, because I do the opposite., Miles Davis, displayed as Miles Davis, filed under, D. This is how I've always displayed my LPs.

We have a choice!
              Oggy, Lol! So do you write "Miles, Davis" or "Davis, Miles", please? Cheers.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Oggy, Lol! So do you write "Miles, Davis" or "Davis, Miles", please? Cheers.
                He would put "Miles Davis" in the ARTIST tag and "Davis, Miles" in the ARTISTSORT tag. That way the player would show you the artist when playing as "Miles Davis" but when he goes to his library to browse, he would find the files under "Davis, Miles" (with the Ds).

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

He would put "Miles Davis" in the ARTIST tag and "Davis, Miles" in the ARTISTSORT tag. That way the player would show you the artist when playing as "Miles Davis" but when he goes to his library to browse, he would find the files under "Davis, Miles" (with the Ds).
                  Exactly! John Lennon, is displayed next to, Julian Lennon.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Thanks guys, So would you write "Davis, Miles" in both the: 'ARTIST SORT' and 'ALBUM ARTIST SORT' tags, please? (not referring to the 'ARTIST' tag here). Cheers, Paul
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2017, 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

So would you write "Davis, Miles" in both the: 'ARTIST SORT' and 'ALBUM ARTIST SORT' tags, please? (not referring to the 'ARTIST' tag here).
                      There are some tags that have a corresponding sort tag, the most common being:
                      Title and Title Sort
                      Album and Album Sort
                      Artist and Artist Sort
                      Album Artist and Album Artist Sort
                      Composer and Composer Sort
                      Conductor and Conductor Sort
                      Soloists and Soloists Sort

If you choose to populate the sort tags (and I do, except Title) then:
                      If Artist = Miles Davis then Artist Sort = Davis, Miles
                      If Album Artist = Miles Davis then Album Artist Sort = Davis, Miles

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                        There are some tags that have a corresponding sort tag, the most common being:
                        Title and Title Sort
                        Album and Album Sort
                        Artist and Artist Sort
                        Album Artist and Album Artist Sort
                        Composer and Composer Sort
                        Conductor and Conductor Sort
                        Soloists and Soloists Sort

If you choose to populate the sort tags (and I do, except Title) then:
                        If Artist = Miles Davis then Artist Sort = Davis, Miles
                        If Album Artist = Miles Davis then Album Artist Sort = Davis, Miles
                        Mville, Great stuff, thanks. But what if, say, the Artist has three parts to their name, please? Like: Bille Jo Spears?

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

But what if, say, the Artist has three parts to their name, please? Like: Bille Jo Spears?
                          It depends on how you want to sort Billie Jo Spears?

You can sort however you wish, but using this example I would guess you have 3 options:
                          sorting under B, then Artist Sort = Billie Jo Spears
                          sorting under J, then Artist Sort = Jo Spears, Billie
                          sorting under S, then Artist Sort = Spears, Billie Jo

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

@monsterjack

Just to prove that we do, indeed, have multitudinous options: In my digital library, Album Artist tags, which I sort on, are first name/last name for individuals, "The [band name]" for bands named that way and, for the most part, "Various Artists" for compilations. Exceptions for the last are generally for box sets like Eric Clapton: Crossroads, which lists tracks under whatever artist name they were released under; the Album Artist is "Eric Clapton" so as to keep the set with his other releases.

Now when it comes to my CD library, bands like The Who and The Cars are filed under W and C, respectively. That's how I've always done it, and that's what I expect. But I expect computers to sort as they do, so I let mine have its way and don't bother with sort tags. I have the bonus of one less thing to think about as I go about my ripping.

Obviously, this works for me. Do whatever works for you.
                            Last edited by Jailhouse; 08-12-2017, 03:04 AM. Reason: Redistribution of verbiage

Comment

• Jailhouse
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by mville
                              It depends on how you want to sort Billie Jo Spears?

You can sort however you wish, but using this example I would guess you have 3 options:
                              sorting under B, then Artist Sort = Billie Jo Spears
                              sorting under J, then Artist Sort = Jo Spears, Billie
                              sorting under S, then Artist Sort = Spears, Billie Jo
                              Sorting under "J" is incorrect, as "Jo" is not part of Spears' surname. This artist should be in either the B section or the S section.

(I could say that anything else is BS, but that would be rude.)

Comment

• Oggy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                                Sorting under "J" is incorrect, as "Jo" is not part of Spears' surname. This artist should be in either the B section or the S section.

(I could say that anything else is BS, but that would be rude.)
                                Totally agree with this.

One of the few exceptions I've seen in music libraries, is, Ralph Vaughan Williams.

There is no hyphen, but:

Sorting under surname, then, V = Vaughan Williams, Ralph

Sorting under Christian name, then, R = Ralph Vaughan Williams

I didn't use Artist Sort in the above, because some would use Composer, and Composer Sort.

Classical tagging, in the absence of accepted standards, is even more open to personal preferences.
                                Last edited by Oggy; 08-12-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>