title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Possible Windows Explorer crash under dBpoweramp's influence

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krafty
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2021

Possible Windows Explorer crash under dBpoweramp's influence

Hi.

I'm getting this error all the time.
    I don't know if there's anyone experiencing this but here the way to reproduce.
    I tried with three different drives and this happens under Windows 10 and CD Ripper current version as of 30.08.24.

CDs rip normally but after a few rips, Explorer no longer opens up. I found it out when trying to look for a log file from a rip.
    Windows Explorer cannot be called from foobar2000 (for instance, "Open containing folder") and it when you click the task bar, nothing happens.
    You need to kill Explorer from within the task manager and then execute it again.
    This always happens when I am ripping CDs with dbPoweramp. I can't recollect this happening in prior releases.

The event log viewer says "Application Hang", exposing a "Cross-thread" issue.

Is there anything I can provide or do so I can map this is not being done by CD Ripper, somehow?

Thanks for any input - and please - check if this is happening silently to you.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

If you close CD Ripper (end task it), if explorer is still stuck, then it was not CD Ripper as it would not be running.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2021

Hi Spoon.

I uninstalled and will do a full re-installation to see what I can grasp and also try your suggestion.
      It may be the drive upsetting explorer, but I tested with dbap uninstalled and used EAC and fre:ac to no avail trying to crash explorer, using the drive.

Will report soon.

Comment

• krafty
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2021

Ok, I got it reproduced again. Explorer was on a halt - task bar was OK, start menu, too. But if I clicked the folder icon in taskbar, explorer wouldn't come up (although taskbar is running properly). Explorer wouldn't open. The rest of the system kept stable. CD Ripper and the rest of applications. I killed CD Ripper and Explorer didn't come up. I then killed other several applications and nothing. The only thing that got it back was killing the Explorer.exe processes. But this is being triggered in this manner, when I start the CD Rips. Nothing else is halting Explorer. May I suspect something has to do with the Optiarc drive? Or the GPU... I used to have a Nvidia card. This year I switched to an AMD GPU - how can I debug exactly what is going on?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It could be any of those things
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2021

Hi!

I am getting to narrow this. It is not the drive, for sure. I swapped drives and the problem persisted. It was even more frequent as I changed CDs. It looks to me it has something to do with the full install of AMD Software Adrenalin Edition for RX 550 GPU. I uninstalled it, losing the GPU acceleration momentarily, and the problem stopped. Then I did a "Driver Only" install for the AMD Software. I am testing, but it looks like next time I am back to nVidia. The only problem with "Driver Only" installation of AMD software is that it causes issues with Flameshot, if it's not a full install (text is cut off upon a screen capture with comments). So I will run again the AMD Clean Utility and reinstall the Full version. Notice that I did have nVidia drivers installed in the system, for HDMI audio and for the GPU that was no longer in the system. I removed those. I will be reporting back as soon as I get this stable. Thanks.

Comment

• krafty
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2021

Nothing to do with dBpa. Just for the record.

Comment

Working...

]]>