title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Substitute Characters in Artist field

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael S.
    • May 2024

Substitute Characters in Artist field

Is there a way to make CD ripper automatically substitute characters in the Artist field for something else? I would like it to automatically change apostraphes into a comma. I usually do this manually because Media Center will display every item entered in the Artist field that are separated by apostrophes as a separate artist and I just want the whole group to be the artist. Using commas to separate artists accomplishes that.
  • simbun
    • Apr 2021

I don't know where you're seeing apostrophes, but CD Ripper stores each artist in a separate field (it's more complicated than that but there's no reason to confuse things further) which is standard practise e.g.
    Code:
    Track1    Artist1
    Track1    Artist2

Track2    Artist1

Track3    Artist3
    Track3    Artist4

Track4    Artist4
    Track4    Artist3
    If you combined the artists into a single string you'd no longer be able to filter your collection by an individual artist e.g.
    Code:
    Artist1
    Artist1, Artist2
    Artist3, Artist4
    Artist4, Artist3
    Are you sure that's what you're after?

Comment

• simbun
      • Apr 2021

The closest I can get to what you've described is to have artists separated by semi-colons e.g. 'Artist1; Artist2'. To achieve this enable:
      Code:
      CD Ripper > DSP > ID Tag Processing > Manipulation: Multiple Artists to 'Artist1; Artist2' (for non multiple artist aware programs)
      I don't think there's a way to change the ';' to a comma though.

Comment

• miggs
        • Jul 2020

I use Swinsain as my media player/organiser. It doesn't recognise ';' as a multiple artist separator. Only / or comma ','.
        I also can't work out how to automatically use a comma instead of the semicolon. So I just manually change it before ripping.

A powerful and flexible music player for macOS

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Insert ID Tag Processing set to

Multiple Artists to 'Artist1; Artist2' (for non multiple artist aware programs)

Then add a 2nd ID Tag processing DSP and for Word / character replacement ; to ,
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simbun
            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Spoon
            Insert ID Tag Processing set to

Multiple Artists to 'Artist1; Artist2' (for non multiple artist aware programs)

Then add a 2nd ID Tag processing DSP and for Word / character replacement ; to ,
            I tried that within the same DSP (I assume the order of processing prevented it from working) but hadn't considered adding it a second time.

Comment

• Michael S.
              • May 2024

Will have to look into the advanced suggestion but there is workaround: I copied and pasted the artist string to the last track title of the CD, then used the find and replace function to change apostrophes to commas, then copied it back, restored the track information and then edited other track information as needed. This will work but it would be nice if there was some way to do a find and replace within the artist or other fields.

I decided to keep artists as one string in Media Center because otherwise the artist list gets too huge if every performer is treated as a separate artist.

As a neophyte, if anyone can provide a more detailed explanation of how to do the advanced suggestion, would appreciate.
              Last edited by Michael S.; July 05, 2024, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>