title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

what is the meaning of file name

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinni
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2013

what is the meaning of file name

I see this this default value for file name.

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [title] - [artist]

Is there any documentation to understand this?

I understood the following portion.

If album artist has value create folder with value of album artist

If compilatin is checked, is varous artist folder? What is empty square brackets?

If compilation is not checked, what is [artist][][]

I understood after that \album folder\tarck number of song space title of song and hyphen artist name

I am planing to change all my files to add composer, album aritst etc and want to improve on understanding it.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: what is the meaning of file name

[] end the IF

If an album artist is set it is used, if no album artist:

If a compilation:

Various Artists

If not a compilation:

[artist] is used.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

correct on all your responses, including yes, if a compilation it will put the album under a various artists folder. The [] are just to close off the "code" that is checking for whether something is or isn't a compilation (that is, just part of the "programming language dbpa is using). You can easily see what all these things do by entering the info in the dynamic naming settings and it will show you what the result will look like using the madonna example. Just try....you won't break anything!

Comment

• chinni
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
        [] end the IF

If an album artist is set it is used, if no album artist:

If a compilation:

Various Artists

If not a compilation:

[artist] is used.
        Thanks for the reply. Does second comma as shown here means ELSE kind of block?
        [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],

I understood that there are 3 end if blocks ([]). I interpreted like this which is not true when I look at the created folders.
        If (album artist not empty)
        print album artist
        if(compliation true)
        print various artists
        if (compilation not true)
        print artist.

Last two end blocks seems like nested if. May be this is what it means

If (album artist not empty)
        print album artist
        else
        {
        if(compliation true)
        print various artists
        if (compilation not true)
        print artist.
        }

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Yes it is an else.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chinni
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
            Yes it is an else.
            Thanks. I am assuming second comma means else here.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by chinni

yes. Once again, you do realize you can simply enter various things like this in the "SET" section of naming and see what will happen. I learned all this by trial and error using that approach.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Here's the syntax:

[IFVALUE]tag,strifvalue,strnovalue[]

So, if tag has a value, use strifvalue, else use strnovalue e.g. [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]

All the advanced programmable actions are on the website somewhere, but I can't seem to find the link.

Comment

• chinni
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mville
                  Here's the syntax:

[IFVALUE]tag,strifvalue,strnovalue[]

So, if tag has a value, use strifvalue, else use strnovalue e.g. [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]

All the advanced programmable actions are on the website somewhere, but I can't seem to find the link.
                  Thanks to all for the input. I understood well now. It is kind of concise if expression. My player is limited at showing information of song it is playing. I am thinking to rename files
                  that has information with composer etc. I don't know limitation on the size of the characters for the file name. My player shows file name, first artist, year. I am thinking to append to title whatever I need.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

I am thinking to rename files that has information with composer etc. I don't know limitation on the size of the characters for the file name. My player shows file name, first artist, year. I am thinking to append to title whatever I need.
                    On a Windows OS, the pathname\filename cannot exceed 255 characters.

Comment

• chinni
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mville
                      On a Windows OS, the pathname\filename cannot exceed 255 characters.
                      Thanks for sharing. It is plenty of characters.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by garym
                        yes. Once again, you do realize you can simply enter various things like this in the "SET" section of naming and see what will happen. I learned all this by trial and error using that approach.
                        Exactly.

Also, chinni, there's an excellent Help file on Naming Conventions (located here on typical dBp installations) that summarizes all this information for you.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2011

Thanks to all for the input. I understood well now. It is kind of concise if expression. My player is limited at showing information of song it is playing. I am thinking to rename files
                          that has information with composer etc. I don't know limitation on the size of the characters for the file name. My player shows file name, first artist, year. I am thinking to append to title whatever I need.
                          Your player displays the actual filename? All the players I've used/seen obtain all their display info from the metadata. They use the filename for locating files only....not for display, not for file information.

Do you have any control over what the player displays? I'd nix the filename....

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
                            Your player displays the actual filename? All the players I've used/seen obtain all their display info from the metadata. They use the filename for locating files only....not for display, not for file information.

Do you have any control over what the player displays? I'd nix the filename....
                            I thought this too, but rereading his post, he says player shows "filename, first artist, year", so I'm thinking he means "track name" instead of filename, and I suspect his player is showing limited metadata for the song as it plays (rather than just filename). CHINNI .... What player are you using? I recall you are playing FLAC files, correct? Or are you using mp3? And if so, what type of tags (id3v1, id3v2.3)?

Comment

• chinni
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by garym
                              I thought this too, but rereading his post, he says player shows "filename, first artist, year", so I'm thinking he means "track name" instead of filename, and I suspect his player is showing limited metadata for the song as it plays (rather than just filename). CHINNI .... What player are you using? I recall you are playing FLAC files, correct? Or are you using mp3? And if so, what type of tags (id3v1, id3v2.3)?
                              Thanks Garym for the reply. I am using Dune media player. This is one of the best player to play blu-ray/dvd rips with menus and very stable. I use it in my home theater. However, current firmware does not do good job to show meta data of Audio. I am not sure their future plan.

I am using Dune Music Manager which does good job to display album picture, album artist, artists and search albums based on artist. However, once I select album and play, whatever Dune player shows that is what I see. The juke box won't come into the picutre. It shows only the following
                              folder/file name
                              year
                              artist

I am trying to name the file having the information what I need. Other than sonos, are there any good players shows meta data but in low price range? Apprecaite if anybody can share.

Comment

Working...

]]>