title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Clarifiying needed for ReplayGain (apply)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McLion
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2012

Clarifiying needed for ReplayGain (apply)

Hi

I want to apply RG (Album) to my MP3's while ripping to have them all sound the same level.
    • The doc says that RG values must be present in the file before using RG (apply). Do I have to add both effects to the actions of the encoder settings or isn't that what "Calculate missing RG values" does in RG (apply) effect?
    • If Album Gain is selected this option greyed out and keeps the check state that has been set while Track Gain was selected. Does that mean when I need Album Gain, the RG (apply) does not calculate missing values, meaning that in effect nothing is applied?
    • Doc also says: Calculate Missing ReplayGain Values has no meaning for audio conversion and should be unchecked, and I am also not sure what this wants to say or what it means when ripping a CD

Anyhow, while ripping, values are missing anyway, so I am just nor sure what to set to achieve my goal.

TIA
    McL
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Clarifiying needed for ReplayGain (apply)

The calculate option can only calculate track gain, as album gain requires all the tracks from the same album, when encoding files are done on their own.

To do this you have to calculate album gain first, this will write to the tags.

Then do the replaygain apply.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• McLion
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2012

Spoon, Thanks

I tried .... to no avail.
      I use the Multi Encoder, for FLAC with Album/Track RG tags - which works perfect - and for MP3. In Multi Encoder / Encoder Settings for MP3 I have added 2 DSP actions: RG - to calculate Album tags, and RG apply - to apply RG Album tags. I assume that multiple DSP actions run in sequence, so this should work.

However, after ripping I find the RG album tags in the MP3's which tells me that the RG apply DSP effect did not fire.
      IMHO it would not make sense to leave the tags in the file after applying because this would lead to double correcting on a player that support RG.

What am I doing wrong?
      Thank you guys for your continuous support.
      McL

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It cannot work in one conversion what ever the order of the DSP effects. You have to do conversion, then 2nd Conversion with the Apply Effect.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• McLion
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2012

OK .. Thanks

... and for the life of me I can not find out how to only fire RG apply to a bunch of MP3's in a folder that already carry the RG tag ...

It can not be that hard or extraordinary to achieve what I want, right ... is it just me ?!?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Batch Converter, filter to just mp3 and click list button, add the replaygain album column and sort on that column, uncheck all the other items (shift select them).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• McLion
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Apr 2012

Does the setting "Drop ReplayGain ID Tags" also apply when using the Batch Converter?
              Am I correct that this must be checked when applying RG to MP3's otherwise the Audio would be changed and with tag left in place a double correction would be applied if these MP3's are played on a RG aware player?

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by McLion
                Does the setting "Drop ReplayGain ID Tags" also apply when using the Batch Converter?
                Am I correct that this must be checked when applying RG to MP3's otherwise the Audio would be changed and with tag left in place a double correction would be applied if these MP3's are played on a RG aware player?
                No. the point with "drop RG tags" is that the converter "drops" the RG tags added when the FLAC files were created when ripping and then does a NEW RG analysis of the mp3 files and adds those RG values to your mp3 file tags.

Comment

Working...

]]>