title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

puzzled

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suffolk tony
    • Nov 2014

Re: puzzled

Yes, it appears so. If I look at the "Get Info" option on each individual track in iTunes it shows the artist, track name and album name.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by suffolk tony
      Yes, it appears so. If I look at the "Get Info" option on each individual track in iTunes it shows the artist, track name and album name.
      That doesn't necessarily prove that the file has metadata attached to it. Itunes can work differently, with such info stored in a separate iTunes database rather than in the file. Is it possible for you to check to see if tag data is there with another program. You could use dbpa to see metadata within file.

Comment

• suffolk tony
        • Nov 2014

Now here's an interesting thing! Reading elsewhere there's mention of problems with metadata on AIFF files. So out of interest I converted a couple of "invisible" albums to ALAC and, bingo, they now appear. I've just worked my way through other albums I've ripped from DVDs with DVD Audio Extractor and some are visible. Next up, I'll need to check if it's just Ripped DVD-As that are troublesome.

Watch this space!

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by suffolk tony
          Now here's an interesting thing! Reading elsewhere there's mention of problems with metadata on AIFF files. So out of interest I converted a couple of "invisible" albums to ALAC and, bingo, they now appear. I've just worked my way through other albums I've ripped from DVDs with DVD Audio Extractor and some are visible. Next up, I'll need to check if it's just Ripped DVD-As that are troublesome.

Watch this space!
          One would never want to maintain files as AIFF or WAV unless forced to by some player. FLAC or ALAC are much better options for lossless, even ignoring space saving. You've discovered that standard metadata is one benefit.

Comment

• suffolk tony
            • Nov 2014

Well, thing is in my main system AIFF files definitely sound better than ALACs.

Having checked the albums likely to be affected I can find no reason why some are invisible. Still, the fix is to keep a second ALAC version of these albums. I only use Asset for uPnP streaming to a Naim Muso player so any slight reduction in sound quality won't be noticed.

Comment

• tynesider
              • May 2015

Just a quick post to say that I did everything you suggested, including using your suggested naming string (this was a real boon as I would really have struggled without it). Result: a first class ripping program that is working as it should!

Very many thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...

]]>