title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

newly set up Linn DS, NAs etc but Asset problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • breffni
    • Aug 2011

newly set up Linn DS, NAs etc but Asset problems

Hello, new user who obviously doesn't know what he is doing, so hopefully a simple setting has to be changed to clear up the issues.
    Successfully setup Linn ADS, all associated hardware and software all found by Konfig, and initially downloaded one album to test the system before populating the NAS, and seemed to work fine (downloaded to desktop then copied into Multimedia/Music on NAS, accessed and played properly thru ChorusDS HD and I assume Asset).
    Then loaded music by copying files/folders from external hdd onto QNAP TS219P+ NAS.

Thought I set up Asset properly after purchased the premium package and re-checked setup with others running it, but having the same issues whether access thru ChorusDS or Kinsky on iPad.
    An artist name that is just listed once on the music folders will show multiple listings from Asset, and only a fraction of the songs are found. More interestingly, when do choose an artist and song to play, something is pointing the server elsewhere and a different artist and song play.
    Double checked by accessing the music on Kinsky via Twonky rather than Asset, and does list the artists in a similar fashion as where listed on the hdd and NAS, still some music missing, but when choose an artist and song at least the chosen one plays!

The only thing I can think of that did differently than the Linn and Asset instructions and NAS setup is that in addition to checking the enable UPnP, I also checked enable iTunes server, as wanted the other computers on the home network to be able to access the music for their iTunes.

Appreciate any help, guidance and ideas, thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: newly set up Linn DS, NAs etc but Asset problems

Asset runs on your computer, rather than on the QNAP, so you would have to go into Asset Configuration (Advanced >> edit) and add the QNAP shared folder as the location where asset is looking for audio tracks.

Also install Kinksy Desktop on your PC where Asset is running, as a first step to make sure everything is correct.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• breffni
      • Aug 2011

Thanks Spoon.
      3 libraries are listed... C:\Users...\Music for laptop on DS system, but also 2 for the QNAP NAS where the music is housed: \\NAS\Multimedia and \\NAS\Multimedia\Music.
      Should I remove one of the NAS libraries...or define it further i.e. \\NAS\Multimedia\Music\Artist?

Will also download Kinsky desktop onto the laptop...currently just on the iPad control point.

Comment

• breffni
        • Aug 2011

unfortunately, same issue on Kinsky/Asset on laptop as on iPad...multiple listings of same artist, not all songs, and plays a different artist and song than chose.

Comment

• breffni
          • Aug 2011

Spoon - still having the Asset issues, but let me know if dBpoweramp music converter I also bought can help with this other issue... Looks like the music tracks that are found on media server but do not show on Kinsky via Twonky are M4P files, i guess Apple/iTunes protected? Can that program convert M4P's to a usable/accessable format for the DS system? or am i screwed with those files...or have to run iTunes server or something.
          (edit...reading more in forums, looks like only option is to burn to cd in different format and then rip back?)
          Last edited by breffni; August 07, 2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You would only need \\Nas\Multimedia\Music

not the other one otherwise you add the music twice.

m4p are protected m4p files, only Apple can play those.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• breffni
              • Aug 2011

perfect, thanks. Refreshed Asset a couple times and all non-M4P music populated properly.

Comment

• breffni
                • Aug 2011

Hi Spoon,
                Please advise if I am being too impatient, pressing to many buttons, and should just wait to let the program read the files...or if I am supposed to rescan/refresh:

Copying large batches of music files to the NAS from external hdd or other computer. After copying, Asset (via Chorus) does see the files, and nicely lists them in artist>album>song order. But if try to immediately access, will not play (so Asset is still sorting them out?)...and then when does allow to play, plays different artist & song than selected.

When loaded the first batch a few nights ago and encountered that problem, eventually refreshed/rescanned from asset configuration, and the next morning all were in order and played.
                Last night, loaded a much smaller batch (~500 vs ~12,000) and encountered the same problem. Refreshed/rescanned, let go overnight, but when tried to play this morning again encountered that 'plays a different artist/song' problem.

Absolutely love the control point, order of artists/albums/songs, etc and was working great until I loaded the next batch. Let me know if I am doing something that screws up the software (either loading too many files at a time, or should not be rescanning but instead be patient), or if the proper proceedure is to rescan or refesh after loading large batches, as have several more to copy over.

Thanks,
                John

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

When adding new music, you normally do not have to do anything, just leave it 10 minutes and the tracks will be automatically added.

>'plays a different artist/song' problem.

Try using Kinsky Desktop to add the files to the DS, if you clear the playlist, add one track and click play and it plays a different track, then we can investigate.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• breffni
                    • Aug 2011

Thanks. Have double checked running both Chorus & Kinsky on iPad, and also Kinsky desktop...the files seem to load right away when use the Twonky Media server settings on all those devices (but hate that interface, much prefer Asset and the way things are laid out), but when access the songs using Asset as the server under any of the three control points, encounter the same issue.

I'll try to load more tonight and be more patient before hit rescan and/or refresh, and report back what happens. The last batch of new music did theoretically 'show' fairly quickly on Asset, but then when went to play it, things just froze, so rescanned and became jumbled again once allowed me to play.

Comment

• breffni
                      • Aug 2011

hopefully straightened out...made some changes and music file additions/deletions last night and let it detect changes and rescan overnight, all was working correctly on all access points this morning. Thanks again for your help, and hopefully i don't blow it up this weekend now that i have the balls to add the next large batches!

Comment

• breffni
                        • Aug 2011

Hi Spoon,
                        Looks like for the most part Asset is now working well with all three control points (Kinsky desktop & iPad, and Chorus iPad) after the large file load...think the key was me being patient and letting it do it's thing and detecting changes rather than me trying to force it to.

One strange issue remains, similar to my earlier problems.
                        While now most of the songs/artists do play as selected, still a few that are scanned wrong (or cross-scanned?). For example:
                        Album A shows only 1 copy in the NAS, but when select it on Asset there are 2 listings of each track. But, the first listings plays a song of a different artist Album B, while the second track listing plays the correct track from Album A.
                        When first saw the incorrect duplicate, went to the NAS to delete it, but the album was not duplicated in the NAS.

Is there a suggested way to clear such issues? Force rescan or restart?
                        alternatively, is there a way via Asset to delete the incorrect tracks, or is that specific to the NAS not Asset?
                        Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

If you look in:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\

you will find a program:

uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe

Run it and wait a minute, it will put the whole database in a readable format, save it as a.xls and load into a spreadsheet such as excel. Have a look for the track which is playing wrong, you should be able to see the exact file which is it pointing to. There should not be one file name listed twice.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• breffni
                            • Aug 2011

didn't help, too many files, read in Notepad but couldnt save as xls just txt.

i guess try rescan or refresh all? really bizarre...good news is most album files I've checked do play the correct song, but in many there are duplicate tracks listed that link to a different artist and song (i.e. Grace Potter, Stop the Bus, listed twice...first one plays Carly Simon, Anticipation, second one plays the right song....great artists, but a bit opposite end of the spectrum when expecting to hear a certain genre!)

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

If you save the file as a .txt then email the file to me I can check it over (you would have to say which items are duplicated so I know where to look).

Email Address:

Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>