title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Building an AccurateRip of a disc from multipl drives and/or discs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Building an AccurateRip of a disc from multipl drives and/or discs

If you are unable to get an accuraterip of a disc in a drive, the data from that rip is saved, including information on bad sectors, C2 errors, etc. The disc is then placed in a second drive. Because each drive reads discs a little differently it may be able to get an accuraterip or it may be able to recover some frames the first drive could not. This would allow users with multiple drives to potentially get an accuraterip that no single drive alone could get.

If the user has access to more then one copy of the disc, the a second disc could be used. If other copies have a different pressing offset, dBpoweramp could use the pressing offset of the first disc to read the data required to re-build the first disc accurately.
  • sredmyer
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Re: Building an AccurateRip of a disc from multipl drives and/or discs

This functionality would be especialy useful to pro ripping outfits. Even more so if one were able to create such functionality as a DSP.

This dove-tails nicely with another of your requests here
    It occurs to me that many of my recent and desperate requests could be handled with DSPs. Spoon, is there any chance you would open the DSPs up for outside development and release documentation on how they interact? I have a few people that may be able to help me with DSP development if it were open.

I would certainly be creating a DSP to provide this functionality in my particular workflow if such as DSP SDK were available.

Comment

• EliC
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

I don't know if you would need a DSP for this. I think much of the required info is already generated and stored with the current ripper. You would just need to save all of this info between rips for inaccurate/error rips for attempts in other drives.

Comment

• sredmyer
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2008

Originally posted by EliC
        I don't know if you would need a DSP for this. I think much of the required info is already generated and stored with the current ripper. You would just need to save all of this info between rips for inaccurate/error rips for attempts in other drives.
        True but unless Spoon wants to take on this development, the only way we mere mortals could implement such functionality would be through a DSP. I believe this DSP could be written using information currently available (in the extraction log) and run as a "Run External" DSP but it would be far easier to write if a DSP SDK were provided that included access to that information. Parsing text files can be a real PIA when the structure of the file is content dependant and largely undocumented.

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Yes, it probably could be done with a DSP if spoon opened the development. The feature request was actually in hopes of spoon developing this. Its a tool that would help set dBpoweramp even further ahead of other software. The question is always what sets one piece of software apart, especially when you have to pay for one and not the other. Spoon already has the best meta-data system (though hopefully he continues to improve it), but what can set R14 apart and make it worth the upgrade or new purchase? I think this is a feature that can really help dBpoweramp to be a leader.

Comment

• EliC
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

others would like these features as well:

Comment

• ksvane
              • Mar 2011

Would be an awesome feature! :D

Comment

• Oliviander
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ksvane
                Would be an awesome feature! :D
                Yesss that would be it !!!

Comment

Working...

]]>