title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterP
    Super Moderator
    • Jul 2011

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Originally posted by mville
    So TYER contains YYYY and TDAT contains DDMM?
    Yes, just like http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0 says. Not every application out there enforces this strictly though.

Comment

• d2b
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2010

Stepping back to R14.2 from the beta version 14.3

I've yet to understand the rationale for changing these default FLAC tags:

TOTALTRACKS --> TRACKTOTAL
      TOTALDISCS --> DISCTOTAL

What applications support the proposed changes? I've only seen a vague, outdated suggestion on the xiph.org web site that proposed these two tags. (FWIW, that web site appears to be stagnant at best, and the email moderator has so far failed to moderate attempts to post messages.)

Our radio station library is heavily invested in the 'former' tags, and the current 14.3 beta release doesn't permit us to continue using them. So, the question is: "How do I reinstall 14.2 over the current 14.3 beta version that I have on this machine?"

d2b
      Last edited by d2b; 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Re: Stepping back to R14.2 from the beta version 14.3

You have to uninstall R14.3 then install R14.2

If there is a reference to a tagging standard on the official site we will adopt it, the previous was a guess taken 10 years ago in the absence of such....
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dvdr
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2008

@ d2b
          Hi, in case you need to easily batch-update your tags, here's a suggestion: use mp3tag (mp3tag.de).
          It supplies easy batch-updating of tags and can be programmed, too.
          So you just load your collection, set it to "format tag" and tell it to read the newer, for you useless tags, and apply the value to the tag you need to use. I do these automated tag changes, too, quite often - it's easy & straightforward.
          In terms of advanced formatting, I can even do a programmed update like "replace separators from , / or : with; Then format composer = forename surname to composersort = surname, forename then import covers using a certain naming-scheme and finally sort and rename all files in a programmable folder/naming,structure" and all that in one go....
          So imho it's worth checking it out, if you plan to use the advantages fo the 14.3-release...

Comment

• PeterP
            Super Moderator
            • Jul 2011

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3 (Vorbis Comment Requests)

Any software other than mp3tag having trouble reading ID3v2.3 date/year tags written by dB? Mp3tag author is aware of this problem and a fixed version should be out soon.
            I've tested various mainstream software and see other significant problems (everyone else allows only digits to be written to ID3v2.3 TYER, usually up to four digits).

Comment

• d2b
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Aug 2010

@ dvdr

Originally posted by dvdr
              So you just load your collection, set it to "format tag" and tell it to read the newer, for you useless tags, and apply the value to the tag you need to use. I do these automated tag changes, too, quite often - it's easy & straightforward.
              Sorry, but it does not appear to be easy for me to do what I need to do. I wish to keep the tag value and change the field name. For example, first assume this tag already exists as a VorbisComment: ORGANIZATION=Warner Brothers

Then assume that I wish to change the tag's field name so that it is like this: PUBLISHER=Warner Brothers

After this change is made, the ORGANIZATION field should not longer appear in the file.

How do you program mp3tag to do this? I do not find any way to make this happen.

d2b

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by d2b
                @ dvdr

Sorry, but it does not appear to be easy for me to do what I need to do. I wish to keep the tag value and change the field name. For example, first assume this tag already exists as a VorbisComment: ORGANIZATION=Warner Brothers

Then assume that I wish to change the tag's field name so that it is like this: PUBLISHER=Warner Brothers

After this change is made, the ORGANIZATION field should not longer appear in the file.

How do you program mp3tag to do this? I do not find any way to make this happen.

d2b
                I'm fairly certain this is doable in mp3tag (which I also use). They have a very helpful forum with some real gurus that can give you the steps/code. I'd recommend posting your question about doing this over there. Regards. Gary.

Comment

• d2b
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by garym
                  I'm fairly certain this is doable in mp3tag (which I also use). They have a very helpful forum with some real gurus that can give you the steps/code. I'd recommend posting your question about doing this over there. Regards. Gary.
                  Gary...

I did post this question on the forum but received only complex, convoluted responses that take several steps not clearly explained. Those explanations were not clear either...and I'm no dummy.

"dvdr" suggested that it was a straightforward procedure to do this, but his/her explanation made no sense. What I'm looking for is an answer, not a place to continue asking questions.

Thanks...

d2b

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by d2b
                    Gary...

I did post this question on the forum but received only complex, convoluted responses that take several steps not clearly explained. Those explanations were not clear either...and I'm no dummy.

"dvdr" suggested that it was a straightforward procedure to do this, but his/her explanation made no sense. What I'm looking for is an answer, not a place to continue asking questions.

Thanks...

d2b
                    Can you post a link to the answer you received. I'll take a stab at adding more info. Perhaps I'm missing somwthing, but seems it should be an action that batch copies info to new fields and then deletes old fields. Then again I assume you've tried field mapping within dbpa when ripping so I'm also confused myself as to why that wouldn't work. I'm still running 14.2 so can't directly test.

Comment

• twit
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by d2b
                      Gary...

Thanks...

d2b

Uhhh, the issue seems to much more with your self-assessment of your abilities than anything else. You've recently posted two questions on the mp3tag forums:

The recommended way to create Vorbis comments from a field that has multiple entries is as follows: If there are two composers for a track, enter them in dbpoweramp like this: Composer1; Composer2 The resulting Vorbis comments should be as follows: COMPOSER=Composer1 COMPOSER=Composer2 This is done properly for the COMPOSER tag, like the above example. However, for custom tags, like this one, only a single Vorbis comment is generated: Entering this information for a custom tag named PERF...

Hi... We have 50,000+ FLAC files for which we may choose to change the name of several fields while keeping the values the same. I've looked as far as I can but I cannot find an action item or other means to automate this process. For example, we may wish to change ORGANIZATION to LABEL or PUBLISHER. Of course, to do this, the values should stay the same. Here's a simple example: Before: ORGANIZATION=Red House Records After: LABEL=Red House Records Can someone tell us how to do that? I loo...

In both cases, you received a detailed, accurate and easy-to-follow response in less than an hour from JJ. Others chimed in with additional alternatives. You never bothered to provide a single response to either thread, so your judgment of the reponses being "....complex, convoluted responses that take several steps not clearly explained" is not only wholly inaccurate but insulting in that you came to this conclusion without posting a single clarifying question.

I've love it if your employer could see what outstanding abilities you've demonstrated on this.

Comment

• twit
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jul 2010

(removed doublepost)
                        Last edited by twit; 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

JJ's response is the approach I was thinking would do what you are seeking.
                          Hi... We have 50,000+ FLAC files for which we may choose to change the name of several fields while keeping the values the same. I've looked as far as I can but I cannot find an action item or other means to automate this process. For example, we may wish to change ORGANIZATION to LABEL or PUBLISHER. Of course, to do this, the values should stay the same. Here's a simple example: Before: ORGANIZATION=Red House Records After: LABEL=Red House Records Can someone tell us how to do that? I loo...

Are those steps not working? I'd follow up to that post with any feedback as to what is not working as expected from his suggestions or for additional clarification. I'm assuming you've played around a bit to get the hang of how action groups work?

Edit: or even steveheros post. Seems to solve your issue? Youll need to clarify more as to which step is not clear or not working.
                          Last edited by garym; 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• d2b
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by twit
                            I've love it if your employer could see what outstanding abilities you've demonstrated on this.
                            twit...There's no need to be condescending.

It's not at all obvious to a first time user of this Action Item (Format Value "PUBLISHER": %organization%) that it creates a new PUBLISHER field with the value associated with the ORGANIZATION field. What "Format Value" means is not at all obvious as a standalone expression, especially when the question was about changing field names, not values. If you already know what this action item does, then presumably it's obvious to you.

The second part of JJ's action group (Remove fields "ORGANIZATION") is self-defining.

A slight problem with this two-part combined action item is that, if run twice by mistake, the new PUBLISHER tag is removed as well because there is no longer an ORGANIZATION tag. One must proceed carefully here.

While this topic may appear to be off-thread, the issue is important to us here because Spoon has proposed to change TOTALTRACKS and TOTALDISCS to TRACKTOTAL and DISCTOTAL in version 14.3. If these tags don't exist in the earlier form in some of our existing library files because they were ripped with another application, running a two-part action group in mp3tag could have disastrous results. The procedures need to be carefully examined first, so that correct action items are run oh the appropriate files.

d2b
                            Last edited by d2b; 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• d2b
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by garym
                              JJ's response is the approach I was thinking would do what you are seeking.

Are those steps not working? I'd follow up to that post with any feedback as to what is not working as expected from his suggestions or for additional clarification. I'm assuming you've played around a bit to get the hang of how action groups work?

Edit: or even steveheros post. Seems to solve your issue? Youll need to clarify more as to which step is not clear or not working.
                              @ garym

See my response to 'twit.' JJ's initial suggestion does work, even for Publisher. What was confusing to me is the action item "Format value." As I explained in my response to twit, it's not at all obvious that that expression creates a new field with the value from another field, although it would of course be obvious to someone that knows what that expression does.

I could not make heads nor tails out of stevenhero's method, probably for the same reason...lack of prior knowledge. Although I've used mp3tag for several years, I'm relatively new to scripting and/or creating custom action items. What these scripts, filters and action items actually do is not necessarily obvious to an intelligent beginner.

Thanks for your offer of additional help. I think we're OK now, keeping in mind the care one needs to take when running any action group that might inadvertently remove wanted metadata.

d2b

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by d2b
                                @ garym

See my response to 'twit.' JJ's initial suggestion does work, even for Publisher. What was confusing to me is the action item "Format value." As I explained in my response to twit, it's not at all obvious that that expression creates a new field with the value from another field, although it would of course be obvious to someone that knows what that expression does.

I could not make heads nor tails out of stevenhero's method, probably for the same reason...lack of prior knowledge. Although I've used mp3tag for several years, I'm relatively new to scripting and/or creating custom action items. What these scripts, filters and action items actually do is not necessarily obvious to an intelligent beginner.

Thanks for your offer of additional help. I think we're OK now, keeping in mind the care one needs to take when running any action group that might inadvertently remove wanted metadata.

d2b
                                Good to hear. I found experimenting a bit helped me learn some of the mp3tag advanced features. One thought: you can create custom fields in mp3tag that you can copy contents of other fields to. That way if you mess something up, you can simply run an action to grab that info and put back in the appropriate field. For example, you could run an action to copy info from PUBLISHER to XPUBLISHER. This way even if you accidentally delete PUBLISHER you can recreate it in a batch approach from info in XPUBLISHER.

Comment

Working...

]]>