title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The Next Version of Windows

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

The Next Version of Windows

The next version of Windows, code-named "Longhorn", is Windows Vista.

Opinions? Gripes?

Personally, I think the name will take some getting used to, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

Longhorn has a new name, if not a strange name, and news of the first beta …

• ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: The Next Version of Windows

I rather like the new name. Better than Longhorn which to me is simply ... bull :D

Comment

• donny
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Oct 2002

Vista? like in "Asta la" that would be an interesting name....

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Tsk, tsk, Donny! :D

Vista simply means view, sight, like the view you have from a vista point, on a mountain over a valley or to an ocean in the distance. It's a very visually stimualting term, which in my opinion ties in very well with what this next generation of Windows is meant to be.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2004

I'm personally not a fan of the name. I mean, most of the MS OS names that have come out have been kinda techy. 3.1, NT, 95, CE, 98, 98SE, 2000, XP. I know numbers representing the year isnt particularly techy perhaps, but its at least a number and not a descriptive word. Pretty much all of them with the exception of Millenium Edition (which should be BURNED at the stake anyway). And now we get "Vista."

But, like I said, the name isn't my favorite, but I really am not too caught up in names. As long as Microsoft hasn't gotten shady and made this new OS so user-friendly that any and all advanced features are so far hidden that I need a real, live MS Tech to help me find them, I will be a happy man. I'm also looking forward to the visuals of Vista. I saw a rough version at WinHEC 05 this year that MS demo'd on during the opening speech/conference. I wish I could find a theme or msstyle that would look like Longhorn without making me friggin patch or edit uxtheme.dll.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Ugh. They're giving the next Windows an OS name that's more than 4 characters long? ugh ugh ugh

Comment

Working...

]]>