title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Recommendation for mp3 player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steerpike
    • Jul 2005

Recommendation for mp3 player

I've used MP3 on my laptop for a long time, and also have a small memorex 'metro' player. I'd now like to buy a better flash (non-hard drive) player. here are some criteria I have:

1) use external/expandable storage - preferably Compact Flash, since I have a lot of 256 MByte cards from my old cameras, but SD would be OK I guess.

This player looks promising, does anyone have experience with it? http://www.store.yahoo.com/frontiers...adigaudp1.html
    If it's ok, does anyone know - are the CF cards easy to interchange?

2) For any player with expandable storage, it must not use proprietary encoding ... I came across a post about the RCA Lyra that talked about the fact that you must use their software to 'load' the cards.

I'm assuming this is unique to RCA ... is it still their practice on the latest models? Do other removable storage players do likewise?

3) must use standard batteries - AAA, AA, etc.

4) Preferably no radio, no microphone, no line in recording - just don't need it, so want to keep it simple.

5) Must have basic 'folder' navigation - ability to move from folder to folder, then track to track (my old memorex metro does not provide this feature and it drives me nuts!).

6) Must operate as a standard 'windows storage device' - that is, show up as a removable drive when plugged in - with NO requirement for proprietary software loaded on my PC (does this rule out iRiver devices?).

Don't care about headphones - got plenty already!

Don't care about formats - just good old MP3 is fine!

Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Recommendation for mp3 player

MP3 players that use CF cards are few-and-far between now. You'd be better off switching to SD-cards.

Also, the Creative MuVo players are nice. Some models have a removable USB key that you just plug into a USB port like a USB "thumbdrive" people have. To use it as a player, you put it in the player-portion and turn it on. However, they don't support memory cards.
    Last edited by LtData; 07-05-2005, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• steerpike
      • Jul 2005

Yes, I can see that I'll have to give up on CompactFlash!

So if I go with SD storage - specifically the Rio players - can anyone confirm that I can simply remove the card from the device, and load it into a standard 'SD Card Reader' on my PC, and copy MP3 files to the card, then put the card back into the player?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I seem to remember that SD cards are particular about audio files on them, but I'm not sure. Try googling and see what you find.

Comment

Working...

]]>