title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple switching to Intel CPUs June 2007

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Apple switching to Intel CPUs June 2007

You may or may not have heard the news. Apple will be using Intel CPUs in their computers starting in 2007 in the PowerBook, iMac, and Mac Mini and work their way to their entire line by 2007. Here's one link regarding this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050606-4974.html
    If you want more information on this, pick a geeky news website and look on it, they should have a post regarding this.

More articles:

Shocked? Puzzled? The articles try to determine the underlying cause of this action, but only Apple's director board or whatever they're called know for sure.
  • iTunesIsEvil
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2004

Re: Apple switching to Intel CPUs June 2007

I got excited for a moment when I heard that last week, but then I found out that Apple is going to probably put a chip on the mobos they use to keep the rest of us from using the OSX OS on a PC machine. :( Stupid proprietary hardware requirements...

I'd like to get a dual-boot going with Windows XP and OS X Tiger running on the same box... alas I believe this is the feeble dream of a mad-man.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Happily, Apple themselves said their Intel OSX Machines WILL dual-boot with Windows. However, as you said, putting OSX on any Windows machine won't happen.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LtData
        Happily, Apple themselves said their Intel OSX Machines WILL dual-boot with Windows.
        I hadn't heard that yet, but that's pretty cool!! Thats just about enough for me to make sure I purchase an Apple box in '07. Though that's assuming Windows Codename: Longhorn (which I'm also excited about) doesn't do something insane like check to see if there's an Apple OS installed on the box.

Thanks for the info there LtData! I had only read something that had said that the Apple software would look for their chip in the intel board, but I hadn't thought of/read about putting Windows on an Apple board instead of doing it the other way around.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Here, found the article: http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the...tag=macintouch
          Its on the second page.

Comment

• colajoe
            • Jun 2005

this is a smart move. good for apple!

joe

Comment

Working...

]]>