title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Large audio files - splitting solutions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murraybiscuit
    • Jun 2005

Large audio files - splitting solutions

I work for a company that records long sessions of audio. I have two problems resultantly:

1. Seeking is difficult on the final cd as the audio isn't broken up into tracks. How about including this in the Cd burner? Nero has this capability in indexes, limits and splits, but it's really not time effective to use this. My suggestion is that db cdburner could split a long recording based on:
    - absolute time intervals as specified eg. every five minutes and a remainder at the end
    - relative time intervals, eg. 10 split tracks per audio file.

2. If i record sessions of longer than 80 min, it won't fit onto a single cd. If i record several of these sessions in a conference and wish to produce a set of CDs, the spanning across CD's becomes complicated and i end up spending a lot of time calculating where to split the files, and then have to split them manually. How about if i could just dump the files into the burning app and it figured this all out for me and created temp files which were burned and removed once finished. I'm also trying to conserve disk space and the split files start to add up after a while.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Large audio files - splitting solutions

You can use a program like Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to split your audio files.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

I am tempted to write a utility codec that is a length splitter, ie split a long file into say 10 parts, or parts 20 mins long. It would be a 2 stage process to get them onto a cd, ie convert to >> [Length Splitter] then those files >> Audio CD.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Like Christina said, Audacity works well because you can easily find the parts that obviously need splitting...e.g. those "flat-line" areas.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

That's a good temptation

But maybe you can go one step further and split them the way dMC Aux Input would when you select to split by finding very low volume level gaps.

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

There is a program called Wave Repair that can be used to split wave files. It uses cue files to enable you to split them and has the option to automatically inserts breaks when the sound changes to silence.

Check out http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

Wayne

Comment

• JohnSparks
              • Sep 2005

Yeah I could really use a file splitting codec/utility for dbpoweramp

I listen to audiobooks from audible, but my portible mp3 player doesn't have aubible software, so I use dbpoweramp to convert to MP3.

The problem is, is that the files are around 300 MB and several hours long (like 20 hours long) and if for some reason you lose your place in such a long file it takes forever to find it again! So I break up the MP3 files using a third party splitter software (like audacity or mp3splitter) in to managable chunks of 30 minutes.

It would be nice if dppoweramp could do this so I can do it all in one step, or at least with one program. I also really like the OGG format (my mp3 player can play it too) and would like an easy way to split OGG files up into chunks.

So, Spoon (thanks for dbpoweramp converter and player by the way! you rock! ) if you decide to write a plugin for the dbpoweramp converter, it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: if you could do one thing that the other file splitters don't do, it would be even better. Split at a silent part. Most other splitters will just split at a reset point (say 20 minutes) even if it splits in the middle of a word. So if you could make it split at 30 minutes plus find a silent spot close by it would be the bomb.

Sorry to be so picky about something I don't even have a right to be picky about.

Comment

• art04
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                You can use a program like Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to split your audio files.
                Hello. I already downloaded the file audacity-win-1.2.4b.exe from this website and installed it into my computer but unfortunately, I still do NOT know how to use this program to split an audio file into a smaller one ! :blush: How can I start splitting from the point (in the original audio file) that I want and stop splitting at the point that I need? (For example, the original file is 5-minutes-and-15-seconds long, but I just want to start splitting from 1'42" and stop splitting at 2'45"). Would you please help me in details ? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Comment

• Craze
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Oct 2002

There is an excellent tutorial and online help on the Audacity website that explains how to use it. While this forum is for dBpowerAMP, here's a little help for you.

Most of Audacity's options come into play by highlighting sections of your file that you want to work with. If you've already figured out what you want to cut, simply drag your mouse over that section of the track and click on Cut. Or if you're wanting to save just part of a file, highlight the part you want to save, then click file and "Export" to a file format. Rename the file from the original unless you want the new file to replace the original,...which will then be lost. You can use the View button to really zoom in on the exact start/end points of your new file. Hope this helps. Please do check out their tutorial.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...

]]>