title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do i convert .ra, .rm and .ram to MP3?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhoDoYouThink
    • May 2005

How do i convert .ra, .rm and .ram to MP3?

I've read some other threads on this board, but I find them confusing.

What is the easiest way to convert .rm, .ra and .ram (Real Audio) to mp3 and/or wav?

What about Real Media files that are actually streams? Do i HAVE to record them in real time or is there a way to convert them quicker??

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but would appreciate a step-by-step how to.

javajoel@email.com

Thanks.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: How do i convert .ra, .rm and .ram to MP3?

I assume that by stream you mean the file played through a meta file. If you have a .ram file (small size, 1-2K) that would be the emta file. Edit it in notepad to see the actual file it points to. If that file has rtsp:// in front, then all yuo can do is play it and recrod it using dMC Auxiliary Input.

If the file pointed to by the meta file has the prefix http:// , then you have to download that one.

As for conversion of an actual real media file (.rm or .ra or variations), the real media codec in dMC converts in real time.

For a faster conversion (or if the real media codec doesn't work for the file), you download and install the DirectSHow codec. You also need Real Alternative and to add the filters for .rm and .ra during the installation process. Just follow the instructions from Codec Central > real media and then from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-directshow.htm (the portion for real media). Once it's all installed (don't forget the reboot), you just perform conversions as normal.

To convert to mp3 you need the registered version of dMC (or an unexpired trial version).

See also:

I see the questions involving converting files with extensions such as .ram, .smil, .asx, .wax, .wvx, .m3u, etc keep coming back in various forms. Here is where I would like to contribute what little I know of such files and how to handle them. Mine is more of a layman's explanation of these concepts rather than a rigorously

A rose by any other name..... OK, here's the scoop on those pesky .ram files. I've been clamouring all this time that .ram files are meta-files (i.e. text files giving a link to an audio file), not actual audio files. And this is true unless .... just read on. :confused: BTW, all this stuff would probably apply to

When you can play an audio file in a player on your pc but you cannot convert it to another format, there are 2 possible explanations and solutions for that: 1) You do not have the proper codecs for the file Using the file extension as a guide, go to Codec Central (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm) and download
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 05-30-2005, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Re: How do i convert .ra, .rm and .ram to MP3?

The question concerns how to do it with dMC, NOT with other programs of which there are many out there.

Thread closed.

Comment

Working...

]]>